1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's exactly it. Why can we not be allowed to just get on with it?

If you're doing interview techniques and practice wth students then you model the appropriate garb. If you're taking them on a factory trip you wear casual/hard-wearing. If it's boiling in your mobile classroom you wear something light.

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

But whatever you're wearing, have somewhere to stash a biro and a hob-nob.

ValentinoRossi and les25paul like this.
  3. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Worked in Indie schools - expected to wear smart suit or jacket. Never bothered me as had 10 years in industry where suits were also expected. Even wore suits when meeting clients in the Middle East - so makes me smile when teachers used to complain of the heat in the UK.

ValentinoRossi and sabrinakat like this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Did they not have air conditioned buildings in the Middle East?

5. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Buildings and car all air conditioned - but walk from car to building when it is 45C and high humidity not nice. Also if I was doing an outside plant inspection I would wear boiler suit, hard hat etc and be outside. But you do get used to the heat - ran a half marathon in Yanbu Saudi Arabia, and several ones in Thailand.

6. Flere-Imsaho

So not really the same as spending all day in poorly ventilated classrooms, often with walls of south facing windows and inadequate blinds, accompanied by around thirty other people all warming up the already sticky atmosphere.

7. grumpydogwoman

What is the virtue in Britain of walking round in a suit when there are more practical alternatives? That's just perpetrating the stereotype. Don't apply any common-sense or thought to what you wear - just don a suit and you'll be a Cameron-clone. Because that's (apparently) a good thing.

Let's all pretend we went to Eton. That's the pinnacle of achievement and the best way to 'get on' in Britain in 2016. Still. In 2016.

I don't aspire to that. I won't tell young people that this is what they should be doing. I don't represent that school of thought.

indusant, rachel_g41 and -myrtille- like this.
  8. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I would have thought that if we are looking at dress codes that pyjama wearing parents who come to school functions dressed for bed times warrants a look too, or do we have double standards?

9. grumpydogwoman

I shall no more police the parents' pyjamas than I expect them to police my attire.

Free country. I never took my girls to school in my nightie but, if I had got up a bit late one day and had turned up there looking a mess, I wouldn't expect a lecture and I wouldn't expect my kids to be treated differently because of it.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I doubt that many would enthuse over what staff at Eton have to wear:

[​IMG]

(It's a bit slovenly to have ditched the gown).

11. grumpydogwoman

Tell you what though @florian gassmann

If that teacher plays his cards right he could get a Saturday job on the cheese counter in Harrods. Now there's posh.
    upload_2016-6-3_12-53-48.png

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Cheese counter in Harrods? Are you sure they aren't pupils at Harrow?

[​IMG]

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

Poor, poor little boys. They can't help it, can they? Being born to a life of insufferable snobbery and conceitedness. Such a shame.

#iblametheparents

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

If teachers want to be considered as professionals they should dress as professionals and not turn up to school wearing shorts over tights, wear crop tops and short skirts.Men should be smart casual and not live in tracksuits unless it is time for PE.Teachers are a scruffy lot.

15. Flere-Imsaho

Smart casual to me is jeans and nice shirt. I'd happily wear that to work but it would be considered too informal!

16. grumpydogwoman

Jeans? Are you mad? See this maths teacher?

From the economic disaster-country that is Germany? NO JEANS!

upload_2016-6-4_18-51-29.png

And this sad excuse for a teacher? See how the children are misbehaving!!!!

upload_2016-6-4_18-53-24.png

17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Our PE staff in an ordinary comp look great. They have their own departmental kit with tracksuits, shorts and tops. The students have to wear PE kit so why not teachers? I have my school uniform of jackets trousers and long sleeve plain tops as we are asked to dress smartly. I mainly buy from Sainsburys or charity shops for school.

18. kerensaann

kerensaann New commenter

I totally agree except I do work at a school with a corporate dress code which explicitly forbids leggings. I choose to interpret that to mean the time honored leggings are not trousers rule but still sprung for the M&S heatgen tights. Sigh....

19. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

I have always agreed leggings (or jeggings) are not trousers! I wear them as tights. I realised most heads didn't realise the different between leggings and thick tights IF my socks tucked into the bottom of the leggings. Comfortable for me, and smart enough for them

20. grumpydogwoman

Legally you can't enforce a code saying women must wear tights. It's discriminatory. You can say that all must wear trousers. That's OK.

Got to say. I wouldn't work in a school that had these outdated and discriminatory attitudes to dress.

I've posted pictures from Finland and Germany. Countries that rank highly educationally and economically. Here's Australia.

upload_2016-6-6_9-40-44.png No tie!!!

upload_2016-6-6_9-39-50.png Capri pants!!!

upload_2016-6-6_9-41-27.png A denim skirt????

agathamorse likes this.