1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Never signed up to police the length of skirts or how they knot a tie. Forget it.

Also I don't expect to have to dress like a character from a 50s film featuring a typing pool or become a quasi-airline stewardess to be taken seriously.

I hope that I only have to open my mouth and speak to the staff and students in a professional fashion for them to realise that I'm the real deal.

upload_2016-6-1_9-13-10.png
    upload_2016-6-1_9-15-17.png

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

They do, but the fitting of suits I think is very difficult as a man. Them things look cheap, feel cheap and fit cheap. Fair play if someone wants to buy them, but not for me... Whereas a 15 quid polo shirt from tesco can be really good.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Same with the ladieswear.

Anyway, I just noticed that you were including shoes in your £100. We should ALL be wearing decent shoes with solid soles and cushioning and good support. Make your shoes the most expensive item of clothing, everybody!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I saw what I thought was a cheap suit in Next the other day, thinking about buying it for the autumn.
    £40 jacket, £25 skirt add in shoes, around £30 for a cheapish pair and there's £100 done, even without a top to wear under the jacket.

Even a more casual look dress really needs to come from Boden, White Stuff, Jules, etc to be acceptable in my school. They tend to be £60+ and need a jacket or smart cardi to go with them.

Matalan/supermarkets and the like would not be ok.

I always think men have it way easier. They just wear the same jacket, trousers, shoes, tie all week and swap shirts on a more or less daily basis. Quick and easy and half the laundry/dry cleaning!

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

seriously? Why not exactly? What are they selling at them shops you mention? Got to be honest, never heard of them.

colinbillett likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

upload_2016-6-1_12-5-32.png

upload_2016-6-1_12-6-10.png

Why would this not be acceptable with a jacket?

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For the same reason you gave for men.

The fitting of suits is no different for a man than a woman. The fabric still looks cheap.

colinbillett likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

upload_2016-6-1_12-34-21.png

What a slob!!!!

(But good enough for Germany.)

dljames2013 likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

upload_2016-6-1_12-36-57.png

Oh, those Germans! Are you not shocked????

upload_2016-6-1_12-37-33.png

Lara mfl 05 and annelda72 like this.
  10. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

IMO, the German teachers in the photos DO look scruffy, and I do think that smart appearance matters in teaching.

However, it's not so much what you wear as how you wear it! Practically all of my work clothes, including some very smart suits, were purchased from charity shops.

11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

In fairness I looked at the 'white stuff' website. There was nothing on that which i thought was

1) particularly well fitting, even on the models 2) particularly smart

just looks like one of them middle class label places... No real difference, just more money and more desirable a label. Like the clothing equivalent of waitrose. Nothing wrong with that of course, but hardly anything what is an expectation surely?

I know that sounds hypocritical, and I suppose I have re-thought my original post here. If money was such an issue I would wear supermarket stuff for work. Suppose it is a choice in many respects that i prefer a slightly better fit... noone would probably notice a difference though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  12. annelda72

annelda72 New commenter

Having met you, I am not surprised by the colourful comment! I trust you have continued to be visually vibrant?!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

The culture in German schools is to wear clothes that are casual and comfortable, for students and teachers. No one dresses to impress but a lot of learning takes place nonetheless. Teachers don't have to waste loads of time on uniform issues and it doesn't seem to have any effect on behaviour. I think the idea is that kids learn better when they are comfortable, and teachers seem more relaxed and approachable. There's no issue with the have and have-nots as everyone is just in jumper and jeans.

We seem quite preoccupied with uniform and "business dress" in UK schools. The irony is that while schools are determined to become more and more like businesses, the private sector has moved on and has become much more relaxed about what employees are expected to wear. Even in customer facing roles many men are not required to wear a tie.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto. You just have to look out for the 'good quality just discarded because it's last season's style' bargains. You have to live in the right area I know. One of my best bargains was a Dior suit! ;)

15. JustCricket

JustCricket New commenter

Back when I was a law student in 2003ish I came across an employment tribunal case of a man taking his employer to a tribunal stating that the dress policy which forced men to wear a tie was sexist. It baffled me that his argument was rejected as I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that the general standard of dress of women compared to men (not just in schools) is far different. I resolved at the time that one day, I would like to take my own employer to a tribunal over this (not in an adversarial way; in my head I would explain to a perfectly reasonable head and they would understand and support merely as a way to change the law - fat chance!) I was interested to hear that about 5-6 years another similar case came before an employment tribunal and the argument that a tie is sexist was again rejected.

I worked with a rather animated young woman in my last school who would regularly come to school in trousers, casual shoes and a bright jumper. Meanwhile, my deputy head used to moan at me constantly because I refused to do my top button up (I used to do my tie up but left my top button undone so it was not completely stifling). How these can be compared as 'equal' policies is beyond me.

ValentinoRossi and loodle1 like this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

upload_2016-6-1_22-9-25.png

Teachers and children in Finland.
    Finland is, as we know, notorious for its poor standards of education. :rolleyes::cool:
    If only they wore a nice suit from Hobbs! Think how much better they'd do.

upload_2016-6-1_22-10-57.png

agathamorse and loodle1 like this.
  17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Those children are clearly damaged - they are sitting in rows facing a blackboard. Nobody learns like that, no matter what their teacher wears.

18. grumpydogwoman

True @Flere-Imsaho
    True.

As I said. Finland is probably near the bottom of the world rankings. It looks like chaos in those classrooms, doesn't it? Those Finns. Delinquents!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. ValentinoRossi

I don't think anyone is claiming that dressing more smartly has a direct effect on academic achievement!

20. ValentinoRossi

Welcome back, annelda72 :D