1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

2. drek

drek Lead commenter

Deducted from your current salary but sold as additional payment?

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Why did my text come out blue???? It wasn't meant to be a link.

Edited to add: it's a link to @catmother 's profile and I wasn't even quoting catmother!!!

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Everything seems to links to me! I'm the Queen of TES! Can I be a star now?

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

In a school where wearing ties was expected and complied with, a (pre academy) head of mine once suggested a School Tie for teachers.

It was never mentioned again.

In the same school the administration staff voluntarily bought matching suits to create their uniform.

6. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

In response to the original post, it seems to me quite obvious that dictating different clothing for men and women is sexist, and should no longer be part of what we ought to promote in schools, regardless of what it will be like for the learners when they leave, which is often used as an excuse for uniforms. The thread then goes on to discuss a little of the way we enforce conformity, and it slightly ironic that some of us rebel against dress conformity whilst working in institutions that see that as a primary purpose - social norms and all that.
    As for myself, I began life as a man in the classroom wearing a suit, collar and tie, with my shirt tucked in. One day I was horrified that I'd gone to work wearing a jumper without a tie the day the inspectors arrived, but of course, no one took the slightest notice. And from then on it was a downward slope for me, each time getting a little bit more non-conformist - the jeans style trousers, not denim to begin with, but then that was fine in some schools. The earring, then more earrings. I was prepared to challenge anything on the grounds of non-sexist outfits - women did not have to wear a suit. One year I bought a kilt - there could be no argument against that, it being standard outfit for the royal males, and my way of wearing a skirt to work. The last Ofsted inspection I had was 'outstanding', and I was wearing a Hamilton tartan at the time. Then more kilts, and then shorts in summer. I still kept an array of neckwear - straight ties, bow ties, cravats, polo-neck tops, but more often I went tie-less. Now I no longer teach in an institution, I rather miss the 'what can I wear today to look totally different?' question that used to amuse me each morning.

mermy, loodle1 and chelsea2 like this.
  7. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

In my current school, the dress code is very formal. Female staff must not have bare legs. I hate wearing tights, so I get round this by wearing mid-calf skirts and making sure that my legs are tanned (HT can't tell the difference between that and tights!)

Female staff are also not permitted to wear trousers. I have known the HT to send home female teachers who have dared to turn up in anything but a formal skirt or dress. Male and female must wear tailored jackets. Men must wear ties. No 'shirt sleeve order' here!

I have been called into the HT's office to be told that my clothing is 'a little on the bright side'.

How we laughed :p

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Women 'not allowed to wear trousers'? As an NQT, I was advised to wear a skirt suit at an interview, and even back then thought it sounded horrifically dated.
    When I worked at Safeway (last century this was Morrisons or whatever), we had to wear tights and I was told off for not doing. I worked behind a counter and no-one cold see my legs...

9. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

@ValentinoRossi that sounds very sexist to me, and I wouldn't last two minutes at your school as I rarely wear anything but trousers!

On a serious note what would happen if a female teacher needed to wear trousers for religious reasons?

10. ValentinoRossi

Er... I'm pretty sure that there have never been any female teachers with such a prerequisite employed by the school... o_O

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh I wouldn't last there long! ;)
    I wear/wore a lot of culottes for school. Look like a skirt but have the comfort of trousers. Particularly when bending over desks.;)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not wear trousers?

Clear case of Sex Discrimination. Wouldn't get away with it if I were working there.

agathamorse and loodle1 like this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Are the female pupils allowed to wear trousers?

14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

We were given lab coats in advance of a h&s inspection. A colleague, who habitually dresses like a Big Issue seller, commented that she really likes her lab coat because she "doesn't have to spend ages deciding what to wear each morning" . . .

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

In my last school, I was yelled at on my second day for wearing comfortable cotton pimsolls. The day before I had worn heels - up and down on a ladder clearing out a closet/cupboard for 5-6 hours (here's your own office but you have to clear out lots of junk)...

In a previous life as a legal secretary/legal executive, I went for an interview at a law firm and shown the suits/uniform that support staff had to wear. The solicitors could wear their own clothes. No thanks.

16. ValentinoRossi

Wash out your mouth with catholic soap, chelsea2!

agathamorse and rosievoice like this.
  17. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I tend to be unable to make my mind up on this one. I like to look smart and always wear a suit and tie to work. I don't teach a practical subject so tends not to be an issue.

I do get irritated at the lack of options for men though in comparison to women, and the general cost of dressing smartly for men in comparison to women. Even a cheap suit and shoes is going to cost £70. Shirt and tie- another £15 lets say. On the average work day I can therefore be wearing the best part of £100 worth of clothes. I rarely do that at home.... (love internet shopping) Totally agree with suggestions that we men in particular ought to get some sort of allowance, as unlike women, all of our work attire is strictly work wear, and dry cleaning costs.

On the other hand I do get people who use our continental cousins as an example of a more relaxed but maybe more effective system. I also get exasperated as a pastoral leader about the number of issues that spring up about uniform... I wonder really whether it is a battle that 1) is winnable 2) is even worth winning....

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why do you think mens' suits will cost more than smart women's clothes? I don't wear my work clothes outside of work and could easily clock up £100 in the trouser/blouse/cardigan combination I tend to wear.

19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

maybe I am wrong then @Flere-Imsaho . My other half has an array of nice work clothes- She is fashion conscious as well. She works in social work, so more casual. With places like primark, matalan, supermarkets etc. She can look good for much less than £100.

I know that women probably have more outfits than men, but a lot of the pieces she buys for work can also be recycled with other clothes for lunch with the parents etc. at a weekend.

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Those shops do menswear too. You can get a suit jacket for £13 in Tesco. The key is how formally your school expects you to dress and whether you wear work clothes at other times rather than any split along gender lines.