1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

My last school used to insist that staff were 'professionally dressed' on INSET days which I always thought was over the top.

I have always thought that teaching staff should look professional when teaching though although women tended to get away with different styles of dress more than the men.

I always wore a shirt and tie but never a jacket.......however rather amusingly my lanyard photo had a picture of me in a jacket! The jacket had been photoshopped on!!!

sabrinakat, lunarita, drek and 4 others like this.
  2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

There is not. Well, not where I teach.

Anonymity likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I used to wear a tie when i first started teaching for the first 15 years.never thought any more of it.
    Then i started informal wear including t shirts.In the last few years as a supply we are requested to dress with collar and tie in school.
    I quite like a collar and tie and proper trousers....cant stand jeans or track suit bottoms,
    I found tie handy as a bib and a coffee stirrer....occasionally as a bandage or temporary rope to tie things up in :)

sabrinakat, Anonymity and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

If the kids wear them, the staff should wear them. Males and females should both wear them if required.

More sensible would be to get rid of uniforms altogether.

enquiries2 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I removed from the staff handbook the rule that all male members of staff had to wear a tie. Smart trousers, shirt are enough, I'll wear a tie most of the time in the winter but I have a few gingham shirts that just do not go well with a tie!

Summer is also all about chinos and a shirt without tie!

lunarita, drek, peggylu and 1 other person like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

No chance. Trousers in winter, bare legs & sandals in summer. Temperatures in classrooms often exceed 40 degrees. You need to keep as cool as possible to do the job properly. Why make the job harder by wearing unnecessary clothes. ;)

7. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

I don't like the idea that we are (albeit inadvertently) teaching kids that respect depends on what you wear. It's possible to do just as good a job dressed casually - the rest is just convention.

Clean, smart casual should be acceptable for school - for both staff and students

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My badge has me in a T shirt even though a collar and tie is the expected attire. The school decided to use part of a Baker day to do the photos and of course everyone was in mufti as no-one thought to tell us it was happening!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not to mention spectacle cleaner

sabrinakat and oldsomeman like this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That is such a British idea. Everybody must wear suits and formal wear!

11. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

OK, I'd like a tax free clothes allowance and a tax code for the dry cleaning costs too. I have yet to find a good quality suite that I could machine wash.

Oh, only MAT CEO's get that? Silly me for asking.

delnon likes this.
  12. slingshotsally

Suit not suite, predictive text!

13. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

I've never worn tights to work. As a larger lady, tights are a NIGHTMARE. Leggings all the way

catmother likes this.
  14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was not agreeing with formal wear at work,I was just observing that equating wearing a suit and being a white collar worker is very British. Have you ever seen that the French CID officers turn up in compared to their British colleagues? I remember seeing pictures of a terrorism incident in the south of France last year and the guys from the PJ (French CID) were in long shorts. I assume that the lack of a suit and tie did not make them incompetent? Sit in any restaurant in France situated near council offices and you will observe that the men that come in for lunch in summer are wearing much more casual clothes than in the UK. They seem to be able to conduct official business without a tie and heavy suit.

I'm lucky that I teach in Scotland where schools do not have a dress code.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  15. slingshotsally

@catmother

I agree with you in every respect.

Uniforms, I have worn quite a few of them.

When I worked for the Ambulance service in Comms, we had a shoe allowance (I kid you not). Every 6 months I would get a pair of Doc Martin shoes- everyone did, Comms, Crews. We also a tax code because we washed our own uniforms. This was about 20yrs ago, I don't know if they still do this.

BUT if a an employer wants you to wear them, then at least give vouchers towards the cost, a shoe allowance would be very welcome and while they are at it, a washing/dry cleaning allowance as well.

Seriously- If they want a corporate/professional image, then why the heck not compensate staff for the inconvenience?

I would ask, via union. What's to lose?

SSS

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  16. slingshotsally

And Ties? HATE them on anyone.

Risk assessment 101 . All it takes is one yank, a good tug and you would be on your back choking in less than 10 seconds.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A few years ago a child who was in the throes of a bout of dreadful behaviour ran down a corridor full tilt into the Head and promptly attempted to peanut him. This was shortly after he had tried to strangle me with the cord on a bunch of keys round my neck. That was a lesson quickly learned.

I would be concerned about the wearing of certain types of sandal and certainly flip flops, in terms of safety- from size 11 teenage feet apart from anything else.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

When I was teaching I bought and wore cheap chavvy black trousers from primark just for school, and some sort of blouse-looking t-shirty thing on top, with a chunky cardigan/jackety thing. If they wanted me to go in booted and suited they would have to pay for the privilege. They didn't, so I didn't.

Now I wear jeans. And a t-shirty thing on top. Every day. It's bliss!

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Track suit bottoms & fleece in winter; shorts & T shirt in summer.
    Sorted!

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  20. drek

drek Lead commenter

Teachers should be allowed confortable wear as they have to go from room to room, and building to building and then according to imaginary 'standards' have to be seen walking around each room every minute for 5-6 hours a day. Or to the idiotic execs they are not 'working'.
    Office gear for office jobs. Execs and their ilk. Makes it easier for the rest to spot them a mile off as an added benefit.
    Jackets and ties should be for the cash potatoes.

cazzmusic1 likes this.