1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I am sure my school has a dress code for staff although it seems almost universally ignored by teachers ( admin staff adhere to it). I have often looked around and noticed too that even when conforming to the code some staff can still look scruffy and slovenly. How they manage that I am not sure but staff where I work are very good at looking scruffy whilst still wearing suits ( for men) and dresses/skirts/tops and jackets ( for women).

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I haven't been on TES for weeks but isn't it funny that the day I do pop in I should see your subject because I wrote a poem: "Wear a Tie Young Man" and, believe it or not and to my surprise, it was chosen by teachers for publication in 2010. So here I go and you can get your children discussing this next term:

WEAR A TIE YOUNG MAN

By Josie Whitehead

Wear a tie young man, wear a tie young man -
    For they make you look as clever as they possibly can.
    Wear a tie for a funeral and another for each day.
    Wear a tie when you work and one when you play.

Wear a tie when you drive and another when you walk.
    Wear a tie when you’re silent and one when you talk.
    ‘No, don’t wear a tie’ is what some people say -
    If you want to keep those nasty little germs at bay.

They don’t keep you warm or hide the hairs on your chest.
    And most only wear them when they want to look their best.
    We women ditched our bustles and the corsets went too.
    If you want to join the modern world, you know what to do!!

Copyright

loodle1 and peggylu like this.
  3. drek

drek Lead commenter

I must admit to envying the PE lot in their shorts and tees in the summer but feel completely the opposite in the winter.

On average if you ask a woman to dress smart casual they seem to know what that means....

Men seem to be catching up now compared to a decade ago when some seemed to think it meant ill fitting sweats.....and beards with food bits to add interest.......

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have always thought it the opposite. Men can wear a collared shirt and tie whereas women get away with skin tight jeggings and a flowery blouse.

5. Startedin82

Startedin82 Occasional commenter

My wife's school's HT decreed that staff (nearly all female) were not allowed to wear flip flop, open toed sandal type footwear. However everyone ignores this and does so during the summer. All the HT has succeeded in doing is undermining her own authority that little bit more.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

TBH I can see some H & S issues with wearing flip-flops in a working environment.

wanet and peggylu like this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We didn't ban then but issued a statement to say if someone received a foot injury (perhaps a child steps on foot or heavy object dropped on foot) and they were wearing open toed sandals then any injury would be deemed their fault.

wanet likes this.
  8. JosieWhitehead

To change the subject to children dressing smartly (because they've all been buying their uniforms lately): My friend's little girl starts school this week, aged only just 4 - ahhhh. She has bought her school uniform and the school has told her that she can wear light tights now under her skirt and warmer ones when it gets colder. I am pleased to know that she doesn't just have to wear short socks - but for myself, it seems a long time since I wore dresses. I love wearing my light trousers and tee-shirts. I've got to feel quite comfortable in them over the years, and I am also glad I don't have to wear high heeled shoes any more. I had a big operation on my ankle this year and I couldn't wear high heels now.

9. fiels002

fiels002 New commenter

I am intrigued by several posts along the lines of "if the pupils wear ties, the staff should". There is a girls' school near here where the girls wear blazers and ties, but the female teachers do not. I have never known any school that makes female teachers wear ties, even if the girls do. Teachers do not need to wear school uniform. There are a couple of articles about sexist dress codes and school uniform at sexistdresscodes.com

10. exploration

exploration New commenter

It doesn’t surprise me a woman wrote this haha. You don’t have to wear one! It’s a silly outdated noose in my opinion. If the Speaker can allow MPs not to wear one in the House of Commons, then perhaps men should stand up for sexism in their schools?! Ties are becoming necessary only for the somewhat lowly - estate agents, traffic wardens etc.

Edit: Just read it in full actually and realised the sarcasm that’s only apparent from the last line or two.

11. JosieWhitehead

My reply: Yes, there is usually a question following what I say. This poem was chosen, I'm sure, because it leads to classroom discussion. The most popular of my poems with teachers is called: "if Children Ruled the World" and it starts with showing all the benefits they would gain, if only they ruled the world, but when I get down to asking them things such as: "Who would make your toys?" and "Who would grow your food etc? if you were all playing, then this leads to discussion of course. What fun! I'm glad to have ditched the skirts, medium/high heeled shoes and, particularly, nylon tights which I've happily replaced bwithflat shoes, cotton socks, trousers and t-shirts. Oh, the joy of it! ha ha

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017