1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. nervousned

nervousned Occasional commenter

Business dress in my new professional job (which requires substantial training and exams) is less formal than my last teaching job but the same as my first in a sixth form college.

2. enquiries2

enquiries2 New commenter

I was once told there might be a problem with my hair when I was about to start a long term supply cover. I had pink highlights at the time but the school didn't even seem bothered whether I could actually teach. The highlights were a great way of building instant rapport with the kids. This school was in special measures at the time - I think they should have been worrying about more important things...

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Trust me, they weren't.

4. ChristianSotto

ChristianSotto New commenter

For me teacher's are professional so you need to wear appropriate clothes

5. enquiries2

enquiries2 New commenter

And they should also know how to use apostrophes. :p

6. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

I spy a business opportunity here. Tie exchange. I will happily have any of your unwanted (Subject specific or appropriately loud) ties. We can swap so that I can change my tie of the week. £2 for a 2 week loan?

enquiries2 likes this.
  7. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

All teachers should wear mortarboards. After all they always do in cartoons and comics (See Beano for example)

enquiries2 likes this.
  8. enquiries2

enquiries2 New commenter

And they should carry guns - see my comedy routine for explanation on that one! :p

9. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

I see that most business and business outfitters are herald g the end of the tie - any thoughts on this?

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Excellent news!

11. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

To repeat a previous question to a similar suggestion:

Do you mean 'appropriate' or do you mean according to an outdated stereotype?

minnie me likes this.
  12. drek

drek Lead commenter

we are not treated as professionals. we are naughty children continuously being spied on, reviewed, improved, talked down to, patronised, standardised for the sake of providing evidence for everyone on lead points, responsible for anything and everything the non teaching staff, dfe idiots, and OFSTEd fascists can think of.

We should dress appropriately..........any suggestions?

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Teachers wearing
    Bit difficult when you are wearing crop tops, jeans, shorts, shell suits and leggings with very short tunics that reveal all when you bend over, as staff in my previous school did. I don't agree with a suit, shirt and tie but I think if teachers wish to be taken seriously they should dress appropriately (men-chinos /shirt/jumper, women-trousers /skirts/ smart tops/sensible shoes) and not look like they are slobbing on the beach on their holidays.

peter12171 likes this.
  14. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

You need a suit to be taken seriously..

[​IMG]

15. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

I used to love wearing my uniform at school. It made me feel important.

I currently work in a private school abroad and we all wear jeans and t.shirts. I love that too!

16. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

I began my teaching as a PE teacher and had a dispensation to be tie-free.

17. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

I had my work clothes- jacket etc. - great for pockets, and then 'home clothes' I liked the change of being different after school, weekends and hols. and loved it when the day came to throw 'work clothes' in the bin.

sockknittingtubes likes this.
  18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

There's a real snobbery in the U.K. regarding work clothes. Does it really matter what you wear?

Mind you I now work at home and have been working in t shirt and shorts all week!

catmother likes this.
  19. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

As open as our policy is we're not allowed to wear
    • 'Casual cardigans' no idea what that is.
    • No leggings, doesn't matter if they're plain, black and basically just thicker tights. I'd rather wear leggings than tights with a dress and all of my dresses are below the knee at least. Just feels more 'secure'? Tights are a pain but equally we have to wear black tights if dresses are worn.
    • No sandals, open toe or not.
    I'm sure there's a few others that are in there but I can't remember them exactly.

20. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

[​IMG]

?
    Or possibly
    [​IMG]

Compassman likes this.