1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress Code

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by radiowaves, May 2, 2012.

1. This link works better:

http://tinyurl.com/ckw2yfk

Radiowaves

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Similar to the dress code in some of the more formal offices. I don't think there is a law against it.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Most of it is relatively unobjectionable, provided staff are aware before signing contracts. But clean-shaven? That seems likely to result in discrimination issues. Maybe what they mean is no stubble.

4. I think insisting on men wearing suits is a bit strict, but I guess is within the law. One company I worked for had a male dress code along the lines of " male staff will wear dark suits, plain shirts and ties of a conservative nature. Beards may not be worn, but moustaches will be tolerated".

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Any school can issue a 'code' but enforcing it can become difficult for a variety of reasons if challenged. Once an employer prescribes specific items of clothing, or in effect a 'uniform' such as jackets or suits, they must either provide them, or else make provision to cover the cost of dry cleaning and of course in theory the teacher can claim tax back on purchase of 'workwear' purchased specifically for their work.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

If only that were true it would make everyone who works in offices and has to wear a suit very happy! Sadly HMRC are not that generous.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/relief-tools.htm

7. I presume that's for Secondary? Can just imagine the combination of suit and paint/sand/snot!
    I do try to dress smartly but also practically and always have my trainers ready so we can head outside without me sinking in the ground!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think it sounds very sensible and wish we had similar, especially in summer when some staff seem to think that strappy vest tops and flip flops are suitable.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Very OTT. I would not work in such a school.

10. I think it's good for it to be really clear. I have the unenviable job of "having a chat" to someone in my department about their dress. It's an almost impossible conversation to have as it can be really subjective. I heard her say at the end of the day yesterday - whilst dressed in leggings, mini skirt (tattoos showing), scruffy jumper - "well, time to go home and change out of my teacher outfit" !!!!

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

But what about the women!!!!

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I agree. I wonder what other petty rules they try to enforce? All staff cars must be older/smaller than the HTs, perhaps?

13. That's pretty much the dress code I had when I worked for a City investment bank. I don't miss it! Do we really need to be telling our children that they only people worthy of respect, or who are 'professional' are those in a suit? Somebody should have told Steve Jobs.

14. Yet you may well tell a pupil off for poor/scruffy uniform /appearance? I think if pupils are expected to be smart- especially if they are required to wear blazers- then they shouldnt be smarter than the staff! Having said that, beards can look perfectly smart and some religions require men not to shave so dodgy ground there. I am not so sure that more than one pair of earrings is evil either!

15. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I'm so glad I now work in a school where there is neither staff dress code nor any enforced school uniform.

16. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It's typical of many schools which feel they have to document everything rather than having a common sense approach.

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I wouldn't work in a school like that. I refuse to wear a tie, which many staff at my last school commented on, but no one did anything about it. I think the tie is the stupedist piece of clothing invented and I really can not see the point in them. A collegue only ever wore his old rugby team tie, which loooked awful.