1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreamt about INSET day last night

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 1, 2019.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I have been retired for 2 years now and initially had lots of dreams (nightmares) that I was back in school. This had stopped but last night I had a dream that I was in school for an INSET day. It was such a relief when I woke up and knew that I was in control of what I do on Monday. To all those who are new to retirement ( and more experienced retirees)enjoy that lovely feeling tomorrow when you wake up and realise that you can do exactly what you want.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I still dream about school - ten years on!

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

No more Baker Days is a WONDERFUL feeling !
    No more complete waste of teacher time.
    No more having to listen to **** from the greasy pole crawlers who have 'volunteered' to lead a session when everyone knows their classroom management is sh*t.
    No more ridiculous card sorts.
    No more having to sit where none of your "allies" are..... the person sorting the tables having know exactly what they are doing.
    No more having to listen to results which bore no relation to the kids' target grades who you taught PE, as they were given 'motivational targets' based on their English and Maths ability (and not their ability to throw or catch a ball!)
    No more rather mean and meagre food in the school canteen, (the days of outside caterers and rather better quality food long gone)
    No more having to listen to the dreadful drama teacher berating the kitchen staff re their having set out the vegetarian pizza next to the cheese and ham.
    INSET as a term bears NO relation to what I endured all those years and I steadfastly refuse to call these 5 days of teacher holidays stolen from us as anything other than Baker days.

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

@HelenREMfan your response made me smile. I remember when Baker days were introduced. At the time I worked in a lovely school and the SMT worked hard to ensure it was a good day with inspiring guest speakers and usually a leisurely pub lunch. That was also in the days when we all went to the pub every Friday lunchtime. Back in those days we had no performance management and pupils didn't have targets to meet. Surprisingly enough they usually all made good progress whilst enjoying their education. If teaching had remained like that I probably wouldn't be having nightmares about being back in school!

5. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

On my way in for an INSET now, wish me luck :)

elainerosebud likes this.
  6. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

No more having to sit where none of your "allies" are..... the person sorting the tables having know exactly what they are doing.

I can confirm that as someone who used to do this, that it is true!
    Relationships between certain staff were discussed at SMT and seating arrangements tinkered according to this...

Dorsetdreams and elainerosebud like this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Yup.... none of the Luddites, the "been here, seen it, done it...it didn't work then and as sure as heck isn't going to work now" or the people who know what they're doing and know all too well they could be doing so much more worthwhile stuff elsewhere.

Remember all too well 2 drones performing some sort of seminar re 'stress' They were so pee poor that all they did was wind everyone up as they delivered their drivel.

tall tales and Prim like this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Four years on, and I thought the dreams were over. Then, I dreamed that I had agreed to go back for a year as somebody had left with no notice. My first day was so chaotic that I was on the point of leaving when I woke up.

tall tales likes this.
  9. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

My last two start of year insets consisted of being heavily criticised for getting our best results ever, which obviously weren't good enough, and last year listening to members of SLT waffling about a new initiative that they knew little about, but had to give us a presentation about, because the expert they had booked had "rung in ill". Actually, the expert was known to a friend, and claimed they had never been booked. Even members of SLT were laughing at other members of SLT... More to the point, they'd forgotten to order the doughnuts, and blamed that on someone who had left...

I enjoyed my 3rd cup of coffee on the balcony in the sun this morning...