1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dream Phonics Resources

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by abracadanna, May 21, 2020.

1. abracadanna

abracadanna New commenter

Hiya,

I usually just read comments on here but I'm after some help. I am taking over as Literacy Coordinator next term and I'm trying to get a few things ready. We are 5 forms in Reception and 4 in Nursery.

What would your dream pack of resources be so that you're ready to hit the ground running when it's time to start phase 2?

I'm interested to hear from Nursery teachers too as this is an area of development for me. My school has been shut since January so I haven't been able to do the observations I'd like.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask your nursery teachers.
    We all teach differently and they will know what they already have and what scheme they use and that kind of thing.

I know some of the things I use would be left as dust collectors in other classes and things that collect dust in mine would be 'essential' in others.

You really won't be able to do observations in nursery the way you can in year 1 upwards... they very possibly don't have set lessons times for anything at all and if you go then you may see phonics or you may see nothing linked at all.

Closed since January? WOW!!!!!
    Where are you?

3. abracadanna

abracadanna New commenter

Hello,

Thanks for your input.

I know exactly what you mean about differences of opinions in resources but we're trying to make the classes as consistent as possible to improve the efficacy of planning and delivery. Some of our teachers have never taught in the UK so need guidance.

We have set phonics times for Nursery phase 1 currently but as we're all teaching online at the same time, it's not possible to go and watch.

I'm in China. We didn't come back to school after our Chinese New Year holiday but we're hoping to re-open in June. Crazy times!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Do you already have a set phonics scheme which all classes follow? Jolly Phonics, Letters and Sounds, Read Write Inc, etc?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh I see. Sorry I assumed otherwise.

But like @Kartoshka I would sort a scheme first.
    Then resource from there.
    The start of nursery is very different to the end, similarly reception.

Do you teach in EYFS?

6. colourcodedphonics

colourcodedphonics New commenter

Try colour coded phonics books - they cover the whole of phase 2 a the moment with phase 3 coming soon. they are full reading books that can be read as a whole class on IWB or with a parent at home, they teach each letter sound in the order of letters and sounds and new sounds are red whilst sounds already learned are blue. Please see an example of how to use them here