1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dream job after resignation date!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by stewartk89, Jun 7, 2012.

1. stewartk89

stewartk89 New commenter

Hi

I'm seeking a little advice here really. I haven't been searching for another job as such however whilst browsing today my dream job at a school I've had my eye on for over a year has just come up!! I am just coming to the end of my Primary NQT without any problems and I'm not sure what to do now. I have enjoyed my year but have never seen myself staying at the school long (various reasons-I dont really like the area I am currently living in, not keen on the school ethos, way it is run and no scope for taking on extra responsibility). I dont feel strongly about any of the reasons they have just always been in the back of my mind. Anyway, as Im sure is obvious the resignation date has just passed and I would feel a terrible guilt about approaching my head (who is leaving herself at the end of this summer term) and sort of 'leaving the school in the thick of it'. At the same time I feel I would kick myself if I didn't go for this job.

I understand that it is not particularly professional for me to try and resign after the date and that's why I am struggling with the decision. Also, if I didn't get interview or said job then I would probably just stay at my school. As I have said I am not unhappy just thinking about opportunity. What is the likeliness of this working out? What will happen if my head says no and I go ahead with the application?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's big of you.
    As she'll be writing any reference for you, it's likely to consist of the following:
    Stewart K has worked at this school since September 2011, joining us on a permanent contract as a NQT. He asked if I would release him in order to apply for this post - as the date for resignation has now passed - and I said I would not. Were you to appoint him, therefore, he would be in breach of contract.
    I don't know about the head of your 'dream' school, but I would automatically withdraw any offer of an interview at that point.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

And if the head did okay you applying, there's still the possibility that you don't get it, and that the new head in your school is told "don't expect stewart to stay long", which might colour their perception of you.

4. September

September New commenter

Speak to your headteacher and also speak to the school. If you are good enough at interview then they may wait for you until you can leave. Some schools do come to an arrangement and allow staff to leave after the resignation deadline if it works for both parties.
    You won't know unless you ask.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good morning Stewart!
    Yes, a common dilemma . . So here is my common reply:
    • Yes, it is too late for you to give in your notice for September.
    • Etiquette requires you to speak to your Head before you apply for any post, as they will be your main referee.
    • The Head would be offended at any suggestion that the other is your "dream school", as it says clearly that this is not.
    • Your Head will tell you that it is too late. S/he may nonetheless agree to you being released early.
    • Or probably will not, as it puts them in a difficult position
    • The Head would doubtless be aggrieved that you want to leave at short notice
    • Unless they are secretly dying to get rid of you, in which case they will readily agree to you being released early.
    • So then you will know that they don't much rate you.
    • If you apply for this post, the other Head will know that you are
      currently held to your contractual leaving date of 31 December, and will
      see that unless you are an exceptional candidate worth waiting for,
      you are no use to their school.
    • The other Head would, anyway, be extremely wary of a candidate
      actually wanting to put their current school into a difficult position
      by requesting to leave so late in the year.
    • And if you have the agreement of your Head to hand in late notice,
      then the other school will be even more wary as they will realise that
      your current school is not that intent on keeping you.
    Think this covers the situation pretty fully.
    [​IMG]

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.