1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreading telling work I am pg again..pls advise

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by 54321stopmakingsausages, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I am pg with baby no.2. due in Aug. I have a 16 month old. I have been back pt since Sept. It has been fine, classes fine, no issues etc, no time off.
    However, after I had first baby my HOD was really awful about me behind my back and the principal betrayed my trsut with something. Sorry about vagueness but don't want to be identified. I have since confronted HOD who didn't deny or apologise.
    To cut a long story short I am really scared and anxious about telling them I am pg again. I am also still really angry about what went on and feel like I want to email HOD and Principal rather than seeing them in person as I don't want to share wonderful news person to person with two people who I don't remotely trust or care for.
    On the other hand, my practical side says I should be nice as pie and tell them face to face and be as lovely and jolly as I can be so that they have no 'ammo' to use against me.
    It is so disappointing to find people you thought were supportive and told you as much, totally change their tune once you actually start the family you have longed for.
    Any advice greatfully received.

2. I have not been in your position but at the end of the day you have every right to have a family and to take the time off that you deserve. It is your right and they know it. They are only stroppy because it makes their life a little bit inconvenient - well tough sh*t.
    I think you should act as you would have acted had this never happened before. In other words, you should tell them face-to-face as an email suggests you are ashamed or embarrased or even lacking in courage. Yes, be as nice as pie and try to put what happened to the back of your mind. I know that this is so much easier said than down but you will feel proud that you have 'risen above' their small and petty minds and not let them get to you. Whatever you do don't apologise or appear that you are worried about their reaction as it is their job (not yours) to deal with cover etc.
    Best of luck and do let us know what you do and how it works out. Remember that you have every right to be pregnant again and it is a time for happiness. It is their selfishness that is the problem. You have to think about what is right for you as it seems their supportiveness is very limited!

3. sorry - gratefully. Been on hols my excuse!

4. thank you so much. i really appreciate your advice and intend following it!
    best wishes
    x