1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreading telling school

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by SBW2009, Aug 28, 2012.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi all
    I'm almost 15 weeks and still feeling terrible (sickness, lightheaded, tired etc) and with less than a week before going back I'm dreading telling school.
    I don't have a good relationship with my HOF and i'm not a fan of the head (very stand off ish, never speaks etc).
    I don't want to say anything for at another 3 weeks as we haven't been able to tell some very close family members.
    I'm worried that by not saying early enough i'm going to cause more problems for myslef. I'm now getting really worked up (i know they can't do anything but the atmosphere is horrible already). Dreading next week.
    Anyone got any advice.
    Thanks

2. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi all
    I'm almost 15 weeks and still feeling terrible (sickness, lightheaded, tired etc) and with less than a week before going back I'm dreading telling school.
    I don't have a good relationship with my HOF and i'm not a fan of the head (very stand off ish, never speaks etc).
    I don't want to say anything for at another 3 weeks as we haven't been able to tell some very close family members.
    I'm worried that by not saying early enough i'm going to cause more problems for myslef. I'm now getting really worked up (i know they can't do anything but the atmosphere is horrible already). Dreading next week.
    Anyone got any advice.
    Thanks

3. You don't need to say anything for another 10 weeks if you really don't want to. People have lots of valid reasons for keeping it quiet.
    If I were you I would put it in writing, stating what date you wish to start mat leave if you have already decided. Leave it with their PA and await a response. It's their job to worry about cover and all the other mundane stuff. You just need to concentrate on yourself and your baby. It may help if you tell a trusted colleague just so someone knows how bad you're feeling.
    It won't be long until you're waving them a cheery bye bye to go on leave and believe me it will go fast!
    If it helps I felt dreadful with my LO until about 17 weeks then all of a sudden I was wonderful again. I couldn't even look at chicken, cooked or otherwise before that and was sick as a dog!
    xxx

4. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you
    I just know they will be unsupportive - my dad and husband have said any problems they'll come in! Its like i'm back in school!!!
    Hope i feel better soon, i'm trying to do new sow but just can't concentrate. Roll on!!

5. If they are horrible it is because they are sad, unpleasant people not a reflection on you being pregnant. Please concentrate on looking after yourself and try to eradicate them from your mind. As previous poster said no need to say before you are ready.

6. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you!