1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreading September

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SweetDee42, Jul 19, 2019.

1. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

I don't want to say too much in case colleagues read this, but school is just horrible and I've got so much going on in my personal life (terminally ill parent), that I felt a change of school was the last thing I needed. But things are much worse, that was clearly the wrong call, and I'm already absolutely dreading September and determined to look for a January start job. Aside from 'Suck it up', any words of wisdom for getting through at least one more term here? You find me fresh from a cry in my cupboard! Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First,. . .and breathe.
    With things going on in your personal life everything is going to look slightly distorted and you're probably correct trying to deal with a change of school won't necessarily help. Plus it's the end of the summer term and most teachers are stressed at this time of year.

You have the summer to relax and hopefully address some of the worry associated with your parent(s) I know how much I was affected when my mother was dying, although to be honest I wasn't that aware at the time I just 'got on with it'.

Take the time to truly relax over the summer, so you're fully prepared for the Aut term. That will help you cope come Sept.

Should Sept arrive and the stress starts to become overwhelming, first stop is your GP. Nothing wrong with accepting medical help under such circumstances and you'd be surprised how many teachers are 'under the DR. / Psychologist. Then talk in confidence to your line manager / Head. They have a duty of care and this will help them understand why you perhaps need a bit of slack.

3. vectis1

vectis1 New commenter

Hi,

I know how you feel. I feel the same way. I was reminded we have deep marking scrutiny on the 2nd week back in September on my way to the car!

tenpast7, agathamorse and Curae like this.
  4. vectis1

vectis1 New commenter

So sorry for the glib response up there.

I wrote a really long response and it has disappeared. Hopefully it will turn up.

5. science1

science1 New commenter

Unbelievably unkind but sadly, not surprising!

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2,, thought I may give my HT (or SLT link) a 'heads up' about the pressures at home and alert them to the fact that you may need time off (if you haven't already done so).

7. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

8. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Thanks, all. Am aware that, like everyone else, have severe endoftermitis - we have another week to go before we break up!

My ht and line manager know. I was off with WRS and anxiety for a term this academic year and they know about my dad. They know about the horrible atmosphere in my phase (some work pals call it bullying but I don't think it is) and have made it clear they think it's my fault. They keep saying they know I have a lot going on, while also summoning me for tellings-off and weird meetings. I know they want me gone and I'll be happy to oblige!

Thanks for the replies, all. Hope your cases of endoftermitis clear up quickly!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Oh, god. What have we become. If the teachers hate school what hope is there for the kids. Deep marking scrutiny, second week, I just despair. What happened to Ofsted's rethink about marking.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You must be having a really bad time of it if you are dreading September in JULY!

In your situation I would

1. Do NO schoolwork whatsoever during the holidays.

2. Tell yourself you plan to leave and get applying for Janusry starts fir a new job for a new decade.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry you're in this state.
    As usual, some good advice above.
    Firstly, keep your head informed - if they know your parent is terminally ill, the need for time off will be less of a surprise, they may show some compassion.
    Secondly you need to change your mindset about the job.
    You are paid to teach that group of kids. That involves a certain amount of planning, assessment and meetings with colleagues (OK a load of other stuff too!). You go to work to earn money to live. You are not in a vocation, called to give up all worldly longings, to serve the great god Heinz (sic) and his acolytes Head and Deputy.
    Some teachers (and TAs) are lovely, some are co-operative, some are foul, only a few become friends. You work with them, you go home and see your real friends.
    You know something, when you leave, the atmosphere in your phase will still be nasty. after a few weeks they'll realise it wasn't you, and find another scapegoat.
    I have no words of wisdom for making colleagues nice - I can wave a magic spell on many people, but I failed with Mrs Egostomper and Mr Vader. Keep your distance, polish the CV.
    Above all, spend the time you need with your parent while you can.
    Hugs

jlishman2158 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Same feelings. Aiming to be out by January. However, let’s enjoy summer first!

13. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

If you start dreading work on Monday before four o clock on Sunday it's a sign it's time to leave. If you're dreading September now life is too short. Get out of there.

14. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

There are good schools who will value you and where you can find happiness in doing a job well and being appreciated for it. Definitely leave at Christmas. I like the idea of a new start for a new decade as phlogiston said.

I’m sorry to hear about your dad, it’s a tough time for you but focus on this. In a year’s time this will be a memory. Everything passes whether good or bad.

My best wishes to you and yours. Try to relax over the summer and spend time with your loved ones.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't do any work in books in the first week back!

16. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Says a lot about the "regime" there when the second week is already designated as deep marking scrutiny.
    Teaching has become a "free for all and put the boot in" for those who don't actually do the teaching.
    I feel your pain.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Spot on...

Indeed I'd perhaps simply not bother to do any extra work for such SLT rubbish. If they complain, tell them you are too stressed to work (pointing out that you have repeatedly warned them about your situation) and go home for a few days. Repeat each time they act in that way...

18. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

1) try taking a really positive view of everything they do. Tell yourself it’s being done from concern for your welfare. It’s really difficult but it might reduce your stress levels a bit.

2) plan your self care. When we are under stress we tend to leave all that to chance. Make it a priority.

3) ask for help!

4) plan your escape.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I know someone who was teaching just Thursday and Friday, and on Friday of the first week in September they came to ask for books so that they could look at marking. That's bad enough, but she was actually teaching the reception class!

20. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

Deep marking scrutiny?! That’s crazy! Yet another thing to make people anxious! This culture of scrutiny needs to die - education doesn’t need this kind of forensic monitoring!

tenpast7, Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.