1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreading return to school - want to quit.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ml01omm, Sep 3, 2015.

1. ml01omm

ml01omm New commenter

I really really don't want to go back to school next week .

As a department we have been really under the microscope for poor results compared to the rest of the school.

As a result my appraisal target was that Value Added for my GCSE group had to be positive or at least 0.

The results were mixed. I'd say except 7 kids, everyone got the results I thought they *deserved*, which as unfortunately the results they deserved did not corralate entirely with the work of fiction that is their target grades, so on paper - this looks bad. very bad. Yet most of the group worked their little socks off the whole year.

After analysing the results, of the 6 that did v. badly, 2 were lazy so no surprises. 2 absolutely tanked the reading and listening papers (can only assume exam nerves as they were doing ok in all the practise papers) and 3 fell foul of the exam boarding raising the grade boundaries for writing and speaking, so their C's became D's, dragging their averages down.

However from last years experience I know the Head doesn't give a flying fig about grade boundary changes or exam nerves or lazyness.

Consequently, my value added is very much in the red, which means no pay rise for me. I'm only on M2 as it is, so I just about stay afloat financially, but it is very tight some months.

I just keep thinking about how hard I worked last year, and how much harder I am going to have to work this year, (It is going to be constant scruitiny) with no financial reward, no acknowledgement from above of the goodstuff, and in the winter needing to walkaround the house in 7 layers because I can't afford to run the heating for very long, because if I work out my hourly salary I think I might just cry.

That and my year 10 group for this year contains some not very nice kids, who have been given targets that are impossible.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there in my position?

2. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

OMG - you poor thing. Is this what our profession has become? How can people just keep being expected to work harder when so much is beyond their control?

What bright ideas does SLT have and are there any tactics to be borrowed from "successful" departments?

What does your HoD say?

It can't all be down to just you.

3. ml01omm

ml01omm New commenter

My HoD is indifferent at the moment. The results for their own group are fine, and they won't be jusged on whole departmental results for another 3 years, so at the moment, my plight on a personal level isn't really on their radar.

SLT want to bring our results in line with English. ( who get 9 hours a fortnight teaching time! and a massive amount of support and resources in terms of staffing and intervention etc)

4. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Sorry, but they are HEAD of a DEPARTMENT. If they are doing their job properly, then they should be supporting you by advising, team preparation and team teaching, sharing resources, even tweaking the classes you have (ie taking a few space cadets into their own class etc). Not doing the former, and other duties, means that they are being paid just to teach their own classes - which is the same as you do. Do they expect you not to be there in 3 years?

You hit the nail on the head - the core subjects, although under pressure I acknowledge, have more teaching time, more support and resources. We lost pupils from our GCSE classes so that they could catch up with their English CAs. To make up for this, the Head of English said I could have said pupils out of their lesson the next week. Problem was, I had bottom set year 9 then. Her suggestion was that they could sit at the back of the room. She really thought that was sufficient. I declined, which meant they lost a fortnight's teaching (I was doing CAs too).

It mystifies me how SLT can expect results in line with English, which the pupils have done since Reception (or before) when they are probably only in their fourth or fifth year of learning the FL.

Is there nobody else in your department? Do you have a mentor? Is there anyone at all sympathetic (and not SLT) who could advise you. You could possibly phone your union for some advice.

It makes my blood boil, it really does.

5. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I really feel for you. I haven't had a pay rise in 2 years because my results weren't anywhere NEAR the work of fiction, as you quite rightly put it, of their target grades. I'm near the very top of the scale so there's not much more I can go up, so it's not as bad as for you, poor thing. Do you know what I did? Instead of struggling to get grades the kids are never going to get, I left the school that was telling me I was a **** teacher for NOT getting them and joined a new one this September. I know it's different in other parts of the country but decent MFL teachers are like gold in the SE and life is too short. In a year or two, they will notice that this PRP **** is driving teachers away. Also, it has been said repeatedly that TEACHER performance IS NOT the same as STUDENT outcome. When are school leaders going to listen?