1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreading going back!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cantwaittogo, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

A week away from going back and with retirement next year - I've lost my enthusiasm for the job. I'm organised but still dreading it.

I can't afford to go before next summer as I have a mortgage to pay so I'm having to just get on with it.

I'm sorry to say that I will be marking the days off on my calendar and I'll try my best to do my best for the children. It will be hard though.

Any advice welcome!

suzuki1690, drek, tall tales and 3 others like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, have a piece of paper on your desk or even a doc open on the whiteboard.

Good things from today:

Hey, let the kids see it. Encourage them to do the same. Fill it in as you go along. Add to the three if you can.

If nothing much good happens then:
    1 I didn't kill anyone
    2 They didn't kill each other
    3 I'll get paid

Mrsmumbles, knitone, Faidha and 22 others like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Take it a week at a time.

Get involved - the time will soon pass.

Plan for your retirement!

Piece of wood and a knife to notch the weeks off!

4. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Definitely a count down and get those close to you involved too. Treat calendars are good! Posh toiletries etc. I had a countdown to my new job in my diary. I saw it the other day and it made me smile.

It will fly by- as all school years do! Keeping focussed on the children will help. Maybe plan in nice little termly / monthly events for both you and them.

195 days, and counting!! By Christmas it will be 120-130 to go (depending on your term dates!).

5. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

Last year I did something similar to @grumpydogwoman 's suggestion - at the end of everyday I wrote three positive things about the day on a post-it and stuck it on the wall by my seat in the department office. It sounds silly but it really did help me have a positive outlook. Similarly, when I was upset about a "terrible" class, a colleague suggested that I list all the students who had been absolutely fine in the lesson. Not surprisingly they were in the majority. Both these things helped me to keep things in perspective, and remember that I was actually doing a pretty good job.

Lazycat, drek, tall tales and 11 others like this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I will follow GDWs suggestion - not for school but for everyday life as it can get a tad overwhelming at the mo!

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I knew a headteacher colleague who was close to retirement say ‘That’s SEP.’ I thought I’d missed some new initiative and asked what that meant. Someone Else’s Problem. It helped get me through my last year.

8. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If things get tough just think of the most famous line from Gone with the wind!

9. grumpydogwoman

It does work better if you can get the kids involved as you can all gee each other along. Well, most of you. And it will genuinely benefit some of them.

Vary it day by day.

3 good things I achieved
    3 nice things I did for others
    3 nice things others did for me
    3 things I noticed other people doing together
    3 things I ticked off on my list of things to do
    3 things I read online that cheers me up
    3 things in the news that sounded positive

10. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

It may be daunting at the moment, but there is a positive side. You are going to retire and can enjoy your last year, reflecting on the positives in your career and planning for your departure. I retired last year, unfortunately this was not my idea or plan and I was one of the growing number of UPS3 teachers 'culled' from the profession to save money.
    I finished in anger and bitterness, not how I wanted to end 30 years of teaching.
    Think of all the positive things that have occurred during your time. As I have looked back over the last year I have realised that there are many things I am proud off and frankly I am also glad to be out of it. Work at a steady pace, not too much or too little. Don't think about the end of the year and I would suggest don't tell anyone until you are ready. Give yourself one evening off each week to do something different, hobby or sport, that you can pursue after retirement.
    Don't get lazy but don't overdo it either.

11. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

This academic year will fly by as they all do.

Soon we will all be practicing Christmas songs and the concert will be a wonderful success. After that someone will announce they think the days are getting slightly longer again. Then it will be Easter and everyone will be saying it’s only been five minutes since Christmas. Next thing you know SATs are here, two minutes after that you will notice people gently trying to question you to find out what retirement gift you would like. Three seconds later your HT is handing you flowers and an envelope while you try not to cry even though your very happy.

Thoroughly enjoy your last year. You are blessed. Best wishes to you from me.

12. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

What a lovely lot of replies! I half expected some negatives about coasting and some such so thank you for supporting me. Can't tell you how much all of your ideas have lifted me!

13. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

I think the majority of people will feel a little 'dread' at this stage of the holidays!

That's the catch 22 of the summer IMO - it's brilliant to have so long off but then it feels like an age since you were past teaching and it's why so many feel they will have forgot how to teach when they go back!

This will be the first time I'll be going back to a school I actually really like. It's my third school and it will be my 6th year in teaching - this is an independent school.

But I'm still nervous about next week. I feel under prepared and feel like I won't do a good job with a new form and all new classes etc.

But one week in you always get back in the swing of it is what I'm telling myself!

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've spent most of today sorting out my (horrible) timetable and set-lists. I have lots of relatively nice (if a bit dim) groups next year so it shouldn't be too bad.

15. grumpydogwoman

And you know it's the last year so you can afford to shelve some of the claptrap and go with your gut-instinct. What are they gonna do? Sack you? Teach the way you really want to.

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I would love to be in your position. I am also dreading it, but too young to retire next year . At 52, I've got at least 3 years left and I have zero enthusiasm too.

drek, BertieBassett2, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

Make a game. BS bingo. Play it at staff meetings. Invite trusted friends to join in.

Make a list of things you're not going to do because they're pointlessly bureaucratic and don't help kids. Make a spreadsheet and see how long it is before anyone notices that you haven't done them. Experiment with taking longer and longer to submit planning or answer emails.

Work for the benefit of the kids. I'm sure you know the difference between what's useful and what's just management-speak nonsense.

Have fun! All teachers have acting ability. Amuse yourself with variations on:

I forgot!!!
    It was due yesterday???
    You say you sent me an email???
    Oh, THIS Monday. I thought you meant NEXT Monday.
    I didn't think that applied to me.
    Wasn't that just HoDs?
    Wasn't that just NQTs?
    But you should have SAID!
    No, I don't think you did tell me.
    Ah, yes. You told me but you said you'd confirm it via email!
    It's my age, you know.
    It's my health, you know.
    Oh, that's harsh!

18. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

This could be a thread in itself!

The server was down!
    My laptop ran out of charge.
    I forgot my laptop/charger.
    I’ve already saved it... I’ve no idea why you can’t find it!
    What do you mean it was all corrupted, it was fine when I sent it (find a random page of squiggles to send)
    Could you just email that to me again, please
    I thought you meant the big term not the little term!
    I didn’t plan anything for the afternoon as you said it was Christmas party DAY/sports DAY/activity DAY!
    You said Monday... I couldn’t remember what time *next* Monday!

The best real life one was the time our school got flooded. “I did it! It must have been lost in the flood!”

jlishman2158, drek, bevdex and 10 others like this.
  19. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It's a shame you're dreading going back. Tick off the days!

20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

And not forgetting "Oh I thought you filled that in".