1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dreadful headaches

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chocolate_cupcake, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    For a few days now I have had really awful headaches. Last night I woke up around 2am drenched in sweat with pain searing through my head. I felt really sick as well and thought I was going to puke. I drank a load of water, took 2 nurofen and went back to bed but it took ages to get back to sleep. I honestly think I got about 3-4 hours sleep last night. It feels a bit better this morning, but I can still feel a slight 'throbbing' in my head and I'm worried it is going to kick off again. On Friday at school (thankfully I was on PPA) I had a headache that was so bad, 2 paracetomol didn't touch it. I ended up taking 2 strong nurofen as well. It eventually went away but took a few hours. I do have hayfever and my friend suggested it could be this but I have never had hayfever headaches before. I'm going to see a pharmacist tomorrow but just wondering if anyone on here has ever had a sudden spate of headaches like this?
    Thanks

2. Hi all,
    For a few days now I have had really awful headaches. Last night I woke up around 2am drenched in sweat with pain searing through my head. I felt really sick as well and thought I was going to puke. I drank a load of water, took 2 nurofen and went back to bed but it took ages to get back to sleep. I honestly think I got about 3-4 hours sleep last night. It feels a bit better this morning, but I can still feel a slight 'throbbing' in my head and I'm worried it is going to kick off again. On Friday at school (thankfully I was on PPA) I had a headache that was so bad, 2 paracetomol didn't touch it. I ended up taking 2 strong nurofen as well. It eventually went away but took a few hours. I do have hayfever and my friend suggested it could be this but I have never had hayfever headaches before. I'm going to see a pharmacist tomorrow but just wondering if anyone on here has ever had a sudden spate of headaches like this?
    Thanks

3. Had this just coming up to the summer last year and was told they were migraines brought on by stress. Go to the dr as soon as you can. I bought migraleve migraine tablets and always have them in my bag. You take 2 pink ones at the onset of the headache and then if it doesn't go, you take 2 yellow after 4 hours... but you should see the dr to ask about them first. I found that neurophen etc didn't touch them at all. I probably had about on average 4 a week for a couple of weeks or maybe even 3 weeks before I decided I couldn't actually deal with them at all, so I went to dr then. Go sooner than I did!

4. Thanks lookingfornemo. I can feel another one starting again, just away to take some more painkillers and go to bed. Not looking forward to work tomorrow!

5. Do you think there's a chance you have sinusitis? You say you woke up drenched in sweat ... this may suggest an fever / infection. Sinus infections can be INCREDIBLY painful - I used to suffer from repeated attacks and on one occasion had to be seen as an emergency at my doctors because I was in so much pain I couldnt sleep or even lie down. The dr said that the pain can be so bad some people get admitted to hospital with suspected meningitis, only to find it is a sinus infection. With sinusitis, the pain is often felt in another part of the head and not necessarily in the sinuses. It could be linked to your hayfever - this may cause inflammation of your sinuses which could trigger an infection. Other than that, it can be linked to diet. I still suffer really bad sinus pain if I eat chocolate or dairy products. They really block up my nasal passages. Do you have any nasal discharge or post nasal drip? This might indicate infected sinuses.
    Other than sinusitis, you might have a form of migraine - however, migraines usually affect vision too.
    I would go see your GP if this carries on.

6. Thanks for your reply Mrs Mo. I think you might be right. I woke up last night with exactly the same headache and drenched in sweat again! This morning my nose was really runny and I feel quite 'coldy'. If it gets worse over the next few days I will see my GP. The lack of sleep is driving me mad as well.

7. Is there any pain above your eyes or near your cheeks? These are the usual sites.
    When I had infected sinuses the dr gave me super strong painkillers & antibiotics which pretty much did the trick.

8. Perhaps you should try and make an appointmnet now rather than wait for the pain to get worse. [​IMG]

9. I find the cool and soothe strips work better than pain killers. There are some cheaper shops own brands available too (although beware some smell awful). I also invested in a chillow (a pillow which is filled with a water soaked sponge and stays cold for ages) which is again aides recovery from severe headaches - I've had migraines for years and wish I'd discovered it sooner.
    I agree with giggirl though, an appointment sooner rather than later would be advisable.
    Hope things improve soon x

10. The yellow tablets are just cocodamol tablets which you can buy much more cheaply than branded "migraleve yellow". You can buy the pink ones on their own (they have an added anti-nausea agent) and then buy a packet of cocodamols to use if the pink ones don't work on their own.

11. The nausea made me think migraine as well.

Just a thought re the paracetamol - paracetamol can cause headache as a side effect.

Are you dehydrated? That also causes headaches and they can be quite throbby.

12. Go to the doctors if it hasn't gone in the next few days.

13. Hi, not been on this forum for a while so missed this.
    There are loads of non-life threatening headache strains, which can be really debilitating - I get headaches too, cluster headaches, which are often accompanied by nausea. I get them in the right eye/temple area (they're often known as pick-axe headaches, lovely!) Weirdly, when I was pregnant I didn't get a single headache...
    If you haven't already, go to your GP. Headaches can be caused by all manner of weird and wonderful things, like shoulder tension, so they can be hard to treat if you don't know the cause. And depending on what kind of GP you have, you might get the wrong treatment. It's a bit of a minefield!
    Many sympathies.

14. As a chronic sufferer of acute sinusitis, I can tell you that it is characterised by sweats/chills.
    When I have a sinus infection, I will go through night after night of it.
    The bugs which cause sinus infections, also cause tummy upsets, which can leave you feeling quite sick. Also, you will be swallowing lots of lovely mucus, which won't help. If you are very congested you may also be having some inner ear difficulties, leaving you feeling a bit nauseated.
    I would say that if you have hayfever, you may well be suffering from acute sinusitis.
    Maybe try something like an oral decogestant, or a sudafed nasal spray, and see if it eases it. Steam is also good. You may however need an antibiotic to help things.
    Do you have any pain in your face, across your eye brows, behind your ears?