1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dreadful cough ... Airways closing and can't breathe

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this. I've had a horrible cough (most likely viral bronchitis) ... To start with i wasn't coughing up much, but now it has turned into a very chesty cough with lots of sticky mucus. The horrid thing is that I've had a couple of really scary episodes on waking, when I've coughed a lot of stuff out, but then my airways seem to close completely and I can't breathe back in again. I've been gasping and gasping for breath but can only continue to cough out again! It happened a couple of mornings ago and my husband was on the verge of calling an ambulance when I suddenly got my breath again. I've googled this and think it might be a " larygospasm " when the airway and larynx clamp shut. Thankfully, my cough seems to be improving and I'm feeling a lot better but this has been pretty terrifying. I am asthmatic too but this is definitely not an asthma attack.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Sounds a bit like whooping cough.....

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Sounds like you shouldn't be self-diagnosing and should get to the GP for some advice. You need to take care of yourself.

4. Dozy is right you need a doctor not google..
    take care

nizebaby likes this.
  5. Have sent you a p.m. Do see your doctor please.

6. I've had the same - antibiotics and prednisolone. It still hasn't properly cleared up. Loads of people have had the same across the country.
    Get yourself to the doctor, especially as you have asthma.

nizebaby likes this.
  7. Thanks for your replies. I feel that I am on the mend and the cough is beginning to go. I also feel I can control this by breathing in slowly through my nose after coughing rather than gasping suddenly through the mouth. If it keeps recurring i will certainly go to the doctor.

8. No - you should go anyway, as your medication might need changing or investigating! For goodness sake, just go!

nizebaby likes this.
  9. Well, I finally went to the doctors about my cough. It is still ongoing, only now I'm coughing up yucky yellow gunk in the mornings and still getting the nasty spasms where I can't breathe in. Last week I lost my voice completely; this has now resolved, but I've been more and more suspicious of it being whooping cough - there is apparently an epidemic at the moment. My GP said my chest sounded ok and it was probably a virus. So I will have to put up with it and hope it goes away soon.

10. Could you ask for a blood test to confirm (or not) whooping cough? If it is, you will be infecting others. The immunisation does not last a lifetime.

11. Yes - I know a couple of people whose nasty cough has turned out to be whooping cough. I'm considering going back to the docs with mine - I've had antibiotics and steroids and still coughing up gunk but it is getting a bit better and I probably haven't helped by still smoking [​IMG]

12. I had this sort of cough 4 years ago which, I now know, was when whooping cough last peaked. It was terrifying, but the doctor couldn't find anything wrong on their standard tests and, of course, never saw me when I thought I was about to die - seriously. Only recently have I heard of the blood test which is more reliable. Of course, you have to be allowed to see the doctor now that nurses have taken over the day to day emergencies.

13. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

I've had exactly the same - am now in week 5. Last weekend I went to the out of hours GP service at the local hospital as the night before was awful - choking, coughing and being sick constantly. I was exhausted by it and haven't slept properly in the last 3 weeks.

Anyway, while I was there I had an episode of coughing and they *immediately* diagnosed whooping cough for which I was given specific antibiotics (which don't cure it but do stop you being infectious). I'm off work this week while the antibiotics kick in and to get some rest because I really haven't been well. I have good days and bad days. There's been a lot of coughing today but not too much vomit !

Read this http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1317134480075

and then I think you should go back to your Dr and ask for the antibiotics. It does sound very much like whooping cough.

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

My skills are wasted. I am going to retrain as a Dr.

15. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I know lots of people (including myself) who've had this sort of terrible cough. I had it in the first two weeks of the summer holidays. It was all just part of a horrible cold virus. I lost my voice, had a horrendous sore throat and had a nasty sensation of not being able to breath in deeply; it felt like something was pressing on my chest.
    It took about 10 days to get to the point where I could be up and out of the house feeling OK, and at least 14 days to feel weel enough to exercise.

16. I think I'm in week 5 of this cough now. Still coughing up gunk. Still finding it hard to breathe in after coughing. My GP didn't really want to know. I feel perfectly fine most of the time until I start coughing. I've had plenty of coughs in my time but this one has definitely been different.

17. I had one like that early on in the year. After 3 weeks I went to doctors and was actually seen by the asthma nurse who said she was qualified to examine me. I have never had such a thorough examination. She could hear mucus on my chest in my lower left lung and immediately gave me antibiotics. I was a further 2 weeks coughing but the antibiotics seemed to loosen it. It was a first for me and I am 51 years old. Never had a chest infection in my life before.

18. I have had this for a month and a half now, 2 sets of anti biotics and an inhaler haven't shifted it! Have been told its a nasty virus but I think its whooping cough. Had chest x ray, awaiting result. So tired of the coughing fits, they' aren't as frequent now but scary when they do happen!

19. The other day morning, my air-way was totally block after coughs and follow by choked whizzing and whopping breath whole duration is a minute. It's a dying experience then a panic experience.

Main thing is NOT to perform 'cough multiple or cough all-out' to get rid of the phlegm all at once and than need a big inhale of air.

Instead be conscious and perform 'short one-cough follow by breathing' and repeat such over a period of 5 min to remove/spit/swallow all the phlegm separately. This bad coughingis longer but it is much easier to catch your breath .
    I think block maybe due too much 'such pheplm' accumulated overnight . My airway is always unblock before coughing. Phlegm/sigh blocking only 'appears' upon coughing. Swallow some water before the cough will help. The remaining of the day , the phelgm are too little or wet to cause any concern.

20. AjAntony

AjAntony New commenter

Hi all.. this is my first post here..

I had the exact symptoms and when i tried searching for the answer.. nothing was helpful except creating lot of panic. All the symptoms that you google gives you the worst disease which will make you to think that your life is shortened.. but my friendly advice is not to google anything in regards to your symptoms..

Coming back to the suffering.. yes i had the same type of cough.. one the 1st episode it made me to think that my life had come to an end.. all i did was running here and there and managed to drink water and it relieved.. and it continued for weeks.. my wife was my life saviour.. when the cough blocks up she pats on my back little hard and taddaaa.. it opens up.. this made me to toally dependant. And i felt really bad as i lost my mind and was expecting someone to be with me all the time. Weeks passed.. surprisingly the episode repeated and no one was near me all i did was to raise my arms and did some stretch which made me to relieve.. so these are something which might help u in emergency..

In regards to how you cure it..

Drink plenty of warm water..
    Boil ginger water.. add honey and it might sooth u...
    Chukku coffee(available in india) you can get it online.. boil with water and drink morning ans night..
    Chicken soup..

These are my routines.. which reduced the episodes occurence..

If anyone had this coming when you wake up from your bed or stand back after lying for quite couple of hours..it is due to.GERD.. as you would noticed your blockade would have been cleared after a heavy burp.. i had the same too..

After all these i consulted a doctor.. who started with mild dosages which didnt have any effects for two weeks.. now i am in my 3rd week of prescription with different medicines..which literally reduced the blocking and bow left over with only coughs..

During these period you may experience back pain and sore throat which is quite commn.. googling these would give you the worst answer hence i advice you to not to panick.. and tackle this easily..

Remember one thing.. if u r anxious and getting panicked.. trust me you are increasing your suffering.. instead... like i said..ask someone to help u.. do some arm excersize.. BREATH IN UR NOSE NOT IN YOUR MOUTH..this will help you getting relieved..

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps a bit.. stay healthy.. god bless you all..

Thanks
    Antony

meesonny3 likes this.