1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dread unprofessionalism in SLT meetings

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by ninek, Jun 15, 2020.

1. ninek

ninek New commenter

I'm feeling frustrated by the need for some of the more senior members of the SLT to make very personal and critical remarks about colleagues, parents and children in team meetings. The meetings are often so negative and driven by hyped up emotions. Unfortunately the HT has a very big personality and is at the centre of the unprofessionalism - they seem to think everyone is a cheeky grabber that takes advantages of the leadership's abundant kindness. I often come out of the meetings feeling despondent, anxious and that my time has been wasted because so much time is taken up with noise. Like everyone, I am already busy enough so I feel dismayed when agenda points go off a wild tangents or the meeting turns into the HT's personal show. I am a lower league member of the SLT and it is really making me reconsider if leadership is the right place for me, especially as too often there is very little room given for open discussion and alternative views. I am not saying that people should not be able to share their opinions and/or concerns in meetings but I have never in nearly 15 years of teaching considered it appropriate to rant so brazenly about others in a professional setting.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's not like that everywhere. Looks like you don't have much opportunity to change things, so grin and bear it, planning your next career move.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes I agree with @Skeoch . Have a long cool look at what you're getting from being on the SLT and try to maximise that but start looking around for something else.

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Have you tried speaking to the HT about this? Maybe from the angle of "we go off the agenda so often that we're not getting things done/running out of time"?

I was in a similar situation with a Head who constantly wanted to tell old war stories and say things like "of course, you've got to remember that 10 years ago this school....". It wasn't unprofessional, so much as boring and time-wasting. I had a tactful word. It stopped.

Pomza and AdamVero like this.