1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drawing Skills

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Get_me_outta_here!, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Drawing skills! I?ve been in search of them and up until now I?ve drawn a blank. I watched my fellow D&T colleagues teach their GCSE groups and looked on in disbelief at the poor drawing skills shown in the pupil?s folios. I?m under no illusion that the same thing is happening across technology workshops across the land.

Pupils just cannot sketch! This, I am sure, isn?t the case at your school, where pupil?s folios are bursting at the seams with quality sketches, all drawn in accurate isometric projection, along with perspective drawings, exploded views! No to mention that they?ve all been drawn using different tones, shades, various sizes, and above all are annotated to the max! To you, I take my hat off!

However, if your laughing at this and saying ?I?m in the same boat as you, your not alone? then please read on.

I?ve realised that the graphic projects, that enable the pupils to draw correctly are either: a) not in place or b) (and this is the common one) full of old drawing tasks that are too complicated, too out of date and far too boring. Why on earth would I want to draw a 1980?s camera? Or come to think of it, a VCR recorder?

With Year 7 being on a carousel in technology (12 weeks at a time), I?ve decided to ditch my ?make a clock? project and revert to improving drawing skills. This is a long term aim that hopefully will be recapped every year until Year 9, with the pupils hopefully maintaining some sort of ability to draw/sketch at a level that is above average. One group, having been an on running bunch of guinea-pigs for me, have produced some great drawings of iPods and mobile phones. They?ve taken pride in their work, and using the crating technique I?ve shown them have come up trumps.

The booklet will contain:

a) How to draw crates in isometric
    b) How to shade in various shapes (including spheres, cones, cubes, pyramids etc...)
    c) Shading in using lines.
    d) Constructing isometric circles
    e) Drawing modern objects using crating techniques, such as iPods, Play Station Portables, mobile phones.
    f) Drawing curves

You might already have a system in place, so I?m hoping that you could help me. If there?s anything else that you think could be useful, please let me know. My technology classes are mixed ability, so I?ve differentiated the worksheets to suit all.

I?m hoping to finish the booklet somewhat soon, so if anyone would be interested in a PDF format of the ?Improving drawing skills? booklet let me know. One catch though. I need your ideas and thoughts on what could be added to the booklet so far. If you have a successful class who can draw, crate, sketch, shade in, etc?. how do you do it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

2. Drawing skills! I?ve been in search of them and up until now I?ve drawn a blank. I watched my fellow D&T colleagues teach their GCSE groups and looked on in disbelief at the poor drawing skills shown in the pupil?s folios. I?m under no illusion that the same thing is happening across technology workshops across the land.

Pupils just cannot sketch! This, I am sure, isn?t the case at your school, where pupil?s folios are bursting at the seams with quality sketches, all drawn in accurate isometric projection, along with perspective drawings, exploded views! No to mention that they?ve all been drawn using different tones, shades, various sizes, and above all are annotated to the max! To you, I take my hat off!

However, if your laughing at this and saying ?I?m in the same boat as you, your not alone? then please read on.

I?ve realised that the graphic projects, that enable the pupils to draw correctly are either: a) not in place or b) (and this is the common one) full of old drawing tasks that are too complicated, too out of date and far too boring. Why on earth would I want to draw a 1980?s camera? Or come to think of it, a VCR recorder?

With Year 7 being on a carousel in technology (12 weeks at a time), I?ve decided to ditch my ?make a clock? project and revert to improving drawing skills. This is a long term aim that hopefully will be recapped every year until Year 9, with the pupils hopefully maintaining some sort of ability to draw/sketch at a level that is above average. One group, having been an on running bunch of guinea-pigs for me, have produced some great drawings of iPods and mobile phones. They?ve taken pride in their work, and using the crating technique I?ve shown them have come up trumps.

The booklet will contain:

a) How to draw crates in isometric
    b) How to shade in various shapes (including spheres, cones, cubes, pyramids etc...)
    c) Shading in using lines.
    d) Constructing isometric circles
    e) Drawing modern objects using crating techniques, such as iPods, Play Station Portables, mobile phones.
    f) Drawing curves

You might already have a system in place, so I?m hoping that you could help me. If there?s anything else that you think could be useful, please let me know. My technology classes are mixed ability, so I?ve differentiated the worksheets to suit all.

I?m hoping to finish the booklet somewhat soon, so if anyone would be interested in a PDF format of the ?Improving drawing skills? booklet let me know. One catch though. I need your ideas and thoughts on what could be added to the booklet so far. If you have a successful class who can draw, crate, sketch, shade in, etc?. how do you do it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

3. CJL

CJL New commenter

4. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

5. Yogi

Yogi New commenter

we are currently having a big push on hand drawn graphics and presentation at my school. i am trying to dabble in marker rendering at the mo. would like a copy of your booklet Get_me_outta_here, if you would like any of the blank line drawings that i am using let me know.

yogi.bear4@ntlworld.com.

Thanks

Yogi

6. Appreciate the response all. like I said, a few adjustments here and there and I'll PDF you all a copy.

Yogi: That'll be great, I'll be in touch.

(Friday night in on the computer might sound sad for a 27 year old, but I'm out tomorrow night and there's football on Sky Sunday afternoon! lol!)

7. I get them to draw an object in black pen so they can't rub it out and they start in one corner of an A£ paper and work their across it!

sunshine_shell@hotmail.com

cheers!

8. I found pictures of drum kits and guitars for drawing skills which went down really well. I have made powerpoints from www.technologystudent.com for students to follow.

9. Could I have a copy please. I have found that drawing their name in 1 point perspective is a task they quite like.

commando850@ntlworld.com

10. Yes please what a super idea.

Any suggestions on improving the drawing of food design ideas? - Always a tricky one i find. Most of my students produce some sort of blob with bits that no-one can identify, even labelling it doesn't really help!

margaret@p16porter.fsnet.co.uk

11. i've got the same problem and have began to develop techniques for 2d sketching and presentation.its a way off yet and i'll gladly share.

very interested in your pdf.

please email to umagotmyfeet@yahoo.co.uk

thanks

12. I'd love acopy too please!

school@davjones.co.uk

Tip for all: Contact your mobile phone company and request some 'dummy phones'. I managed to get a set of 25 different handsets from mine. They are brilliant - they are all brand new, and up to date, so they have the 'wow factor'.

I use them more with my gcse electronics class, as it kinda fits the bill - brilliant for isometrics, as you have basics (the standard brick shape) intermediate with twist phones, and things like the N-Gage, and advanced with clam shells.

Keep up the good work!

Dav

13. I like the way you put it in your first post; and I have to say that unlike you, my pupils' graphics skills are so poor that most of them couldn't even draw a blank!

14. I'll have a good look through ALL of my own files and paperwork during Christmas as I know there is a lot hidden away.

Could you send me a copy. It would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Hutch

awh@cokethorpe.org

15. Totally agree with you, drawing skills leave a lot to be desired. The projects we teach are often on a tight schedule and don't have a great deal of time to teach drawing skills, but yet I expect to see them all coming up with fantastic presentation!
    I get pupils to start with oblique, move on to Isometric and crating. Simple rendering is practiced, drop down shadows, adding colour around objects, and using a light source for different shades. It's all they need. I could do with a copy of your work, cheers julian.james@ntlworld.com

16. I think the drawing skills of many teachers need improving, myself included ( even though i'm still training)

I'd love a copy, i'll work through it myself LOL

I know a great one for doing brickwork which is quite cool.

Hook a brother up davidhartland@gmail.com