1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drawing sideways

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lassy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hello
    Just wondering if this is anything to be concerned about.
    The child is 3 yrs and draws very well in a lot of detail but all sideways. For example a picture of his body with the paper portait way roundhad an ear at the top and bottom then face in the middle with boday sticking out to one side. He then turned paper landscape to revela a perfect figure!

Thanks for any input.
    He also writes his name starting at the bottom and going up, so you have to turn paper around again!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Concerned? He's three, for heaven's sake.

3. Is he left-handed?
    It is quite common (actually with both LH and RH children) for them to turn the paper.
    Sometimes it can be affected by the way they sit at a table.
    But then as inky said, he's only three and you said his drawing was actually good!

4. Inky, How helpful and proffessional

5. He is not left handed and sits normally at the table. I am just wondering if this is a normal developmental stage as I have never seen it before.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Glad to be of service

7. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

It is quite common . I had one last year who suddenly started doing it after drawing the normal way round to start with and I seem to have another one just started this term.I hadn't had any like this for a long time. I don't think it is anything to worry about, just a stage they are going through in their development. I see another poster asked if they were left handed, the children I mentioned aren't but my own son is and when he was 3 or 4 he used to draw people upside down starting with the head at the bottom of the page and then the body and legs. It looked fine when you turned the paper round! I wondered about him at the time but he turned out perfectly ok!

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I had a child who early on in Reception used to write correctly spelt words backwards, and could write a sentence like this. Writing from left to right, top to bottom is only a convention after all and needs to be taught it isn't innate. Drawing from a particular point of view is the same, I should imagine.

9. I taught a child who did something similar to this and it turned out that he always sat with another adult who was drawing or writing at a different side of the table from him, sort of at 90 degrees. He was obviously copying what they were drawing/writing.