1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DRAWING PINS

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hdawo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ARE DRAWING PINS BANNED FROM THE CLASSROOM? I AM CURRENTLY SUPPLYING LONG-TERM AND HAVE PUT UP A SCIENCE DISPLAY. PARTS OF IT IS SECURED BY DRAWING PINS. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THEY CANNOT BE USED BECAUSE ONE MIGHT FALL OFF AND INJURE A CHILD (THE DISPLAY IS NOT IN THE VICINITY OF CHILDREN'S SEATING AREA). THE DISPLAY IS ON A WALL ABOVE THE COAT PEGS IN THE CLASSROOM.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, this is the wrong forum. It's not Health and Safety but Health and Wellbeing. An easy mistake to make.
    Please don't shout - we can hear in lower case too!

3. I once witnessed a child rolling around in agony having just stepped on a drawing pin in a PE lesson. From that point I questioned why they are ever used when a staple, bluetack or glue gun is all you need. at least the pins land flat.

4. Me too. It's a miracle I've survived to the age 51 really with all the apparent dangers there seem to be in the world. Why the heck don't we teach people to use common sense and be careful rather than trying to legislate against stupidity.

5. Seriously?

A few tears? Probably, especially in a primary school.

Rolling on the floor in agony? Surely not! Rolling on the floor should be reserved for the most serious injuries which require hospital treatment.

I would favour staple gun over the other methods, as kids pick bluetack off the wall to play with, and a glue gun is too much hassle and difficult to remove without damaging the paper.

6. Ah, but don't forget if you are going to use a staple gun you need to have completed the correct training in safe usage and have a certificate signed by an authorised training provider and complete the three page risk assessment form in triplicate [​IMG]

7. Getting wall-staples out of the wall is a ball-ache, even with a staple remover. I used to pull kids out of the sinbin for that particular torment but of course they could only remove them to shoulder height because strapping teenagers are too precious to stand on a stepladder.

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

A normal stapler open rather than a staple gun makes them loads easier to remove. I have no idea though why a 2 year old thread has been dragged up again though!

9. Good point! Point, of course, being the operative word.[​IMG]

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Very good!