1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drastic Shortage of Teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by RedQuilt, Nov 19, 2015.

1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

https://m.facebook.com/BBCSouthToday/

If you scroll down to the 3rd or 4th item you will find a video of a news item run twice today on BBC South Today. The item focuses on an Academy in Portsmouth that claims that it can't fill vacancies. An interesting solution to get a new maths teacher is to retrain a PE teacher to do it.
    Worth a watch and there is the opportunity to leave a comment on the FB page if you wish ;)

2. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

BBC Look East have run a report on this evening's news which sounds similar.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah the crisis caused by 5 years of failed policies... of PRP, capability, Teach First, Academisation... the perfect storm has come along.

Two solutions present themselves....

1. Retreat from a disastrous string of policies and try to improve conditions in schools.
    2. Embrace pigheaded stubbornness and recruit from abroad.

Which option will the 'special' idiots in charge of education take?

RedQuilt likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

They'll go for 2 and teachers will be lumped in with that lot who think that professional toilet cleaning is below them.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

This report didn't mention recruiting from abroad, perhaps they haven't thought of that. They did say that they had clubbed together with other schools in the area to produce high-quality marketing material that had been delivered to every household in the Portsmouth area. The HT said that the purpose of this was to attract people with degrees that might not have thought about teaching before.
    It really IS getting desperate, isn't it.

Oh, and the NUT rep didn't say anything useful when he was interviewed.

6. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

The government person they interviewed kept banging on about recruitment and everything they were doing to address it. I kept shouting at the TV about retention. Even Mr JessicaRabbit was shouting.

RedQuilt likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

RedQuilt likes this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Don't worry. My MP says that the nice Nicky Morgan really understands teachers and their concerns because she instigated that excellent workload survey.:cool::confused:

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

yes, it was just the right height to prop up the wonky table in her kitchen!!

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@RedQuilt I caught that news article today and I wanted to shout at the radio, "It's all about the conditions in school which has forced so many teachers out now."
    As someone said it's retention which is far more of a problem than just recuitment.

ssimms165 and RedQuilt like this.
  11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Strangely enough, my MP said the same thing. You'd be forgiven for thinking they were sending out scripted replies ;)

ilovesooty likes this.
  12. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

Nick Gibb said,

"Today’s figures show that teaching is still a hugely popular profession with over 1,000 more graduates training to teach secondary subjects - including record levels of trainees holding a first class degree. I’m delighted that for the first time the majority of teachers are being trained on school-led routes in the classroom, from day one and learning from the best teachers. This is a testament to the popularity of Teach First and School Direct.”

That's a laugh. I have to 'mentor' someone going down the school-led route in Computer Science. I resent it greatly. I was told not asked to mentor this person. I haven't been given any extra time off the timetable. It was just yet another admin job dumped on me this year, on top of my horrendous workload, that I am always struggling to keep on top of. The consequences? The student teacher gets very little mentoring from me. Their behaviour management is weak and I haven't got the energy to spend hours sorting it out. Frankly, I'm too exhausted and too busy to do any quality mentoring, I do the absolute minimum to tick boxes and avoid the student as much as possible now. I don't feel guilty. I feel sad that I've been put in this impossible situation.

13. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Wonderful Nicky Morgan understands us.

It's not reciprocated on my part.

Excellent workload survey. Problem solved then?

It's so easy being a prospective Tory leader/ Prime minister.

Pinch me I'm deaming aren't I?

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/is-nicky-morgan-too-normal-to-be-the-next-prime-minister/

Even the address link reads as a bad joke.

RedQuilt likes this.
  14. Macrinus

Macrinus Occasional commenter

Did you expect otherwise?

15. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Not really, no. When the same man was interviewed later in the evening he redeemed himself somewhat by saying that the problem was about retaining our current teachers and addressing the working conditions.
    We should expect more of our unions, much more.

cissy3 likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My MP said similar things when I emailed him... blah blah blah not listening... just read like something copy and pasted off a central database.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Surely not!!! :rolleyes:

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Mine too.

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well if they're all sending scripted replies I don't know why I had to wait 12 days for it.

20. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Interesting-I got the same reply!

What is the point of MPs-nobody is listening!?