1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dominikasanetra1995, Nov 19, 2017.

1. dominikasanetra1995

dominikasanetra1995 New commenter

Hello!

I am a trainee teacher and I will be teaching a drama lesson next week to a Y2 class.
    After lots of discussion they will have 15 minutes to create their own drama scene (which I will model so they're basically just adapting it).
    When they present their scene, I would like the other children to be doing something. There will be 4 groups in total and i am guessing by group 2 a lot of the children will switch off. Is there a task I can set them to keep them on track while their friends are presenting their scene?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Film the scenes they are watching?
    Fill in a tick sheet for peer assessment?

Keep the scenes VERY short so groups don't switch off.
    15 mins is quite a long time to create a scene, but if the final one is only about 2-3 mins long, Y2 should be able to concentrate throughout.

3. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

I taught year 2 for a while and I found that, as long as the performance time was short, they tend to keep interest.

If you group them well they bounce off each other as well, which can create good comedy. It's the one time I would put friends together because they will feel more comfortable and come up with something more entertaining.

It's always wise to wander around the room during performances, too. Don't stay static, pick a child to film for you and make sure you patrol and give the ones who are getting distracted a bit of a surreptitious nudge. Easier to nudge than to stop the performance and call the kids out for being rude.

You could also do a silly role play to point out how annoying it is to be trying to act while someone is in the audience talking or acting distracted. Ask a group to stand at the front and then you sit at a table tapping pens, talking loudly and swinging on your chair. Ask them how they would like the audience to behave when they are performing, and then point out that they have to do the same. It sounds obvious, but I've met children who get frustrated when people aren't watching properly and then they sit and try to talk all the way through others.

Or ask them to all come up with a star and a wish about each performance - one thing they liked and one thing that the group could improve. Let them know you will call on anyone for feedback, not just those with their hands up, so they all have to have an idea.