1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DRAMA Statisticians, lend me your brains...

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by tommasiTHS, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,

I am in desperate need of some words of wisdom regarding Drama at KS3.

Currently, my school offers the following: -
    2 x lessons in Year 7 per 2 week cycle
    1 x lesson in Year 8 per 2 week cycle
    1 x lesson in Year 9 per 2 week cycle

I find teaching lessons in Year 8 and 9 an absolute drain as the learners struggle to retain information learned from the week before and it also has a damaging effect on the perspective of drama within school and beyond.
    I appreciate there are subjects in a similar position, however a subject that is so heavy on practical outcomes really should warrant an extra hour, wouldn't you say???

I plan to draw up a proposal to my HT and would appreciate any data, phrases, government reports that would help and weight to my argument....

Thank you in advance.
    Tommasi

2. matthewcoe

matthewcoe New commenter

Dear Tommasi
    It is the same in my school. I did teach thematic lessons i.e. Bullying in Year 7 but as Year 8s and 9s have one lesson a fortnight my advice is stand alone lessons. So Year 8s 7 Deadly Sins. Year 9s & Ages of Man. Also you could teach specific drama techniques around a Stimulus each lesson. E.g. Cross Cutting one lesson, Marking the Moment another lesson. Hope that helps. The way the curriculum is at the moment and the EBAC I would be grateful the school is teaching Drama at all! Count your blessings! Offer an after school club for the keenies once a week. I get 30 a week coming at KS 3!