1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama room WOW!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by fahrsx, Mar 27, 2012.

1. My school (primary) and children are very lucky and have their own Drama/Music room. I am looking for ideas to add a WOW and some inspiration to this room. One wall is mirrors and one is windows so it leaves two walls.
    I would love to hear any exciting ideas to use, as big as you like. I've been told to think big!!!
    Two rules; not many posters (classed as 'wallpaper') and as interactive/3D as possible.
    Thank you for your ideas.
    Fahrsx :)

2. I'd get some curtains to cover both.
    What's a "poster" ?
    Presumably, you have an interactive whiteboard on a fifth wall.

3. No IWB in this room.

Why curtains? Sounds an interesting idea.

Posters; like printed pictures, ready made. Not the children's work.

4. Get one. You can then have anything you like on the wall, including scenery. Also basic lighting (project a single colour).
    To make a blackout for the IAWB and to stop the kids looking in the mirrors except when you want them to.
    So the children make the posters you would otherwise have bought? Do all the subjects adhere to the same rules? Are maths people not displaying pre-printed multiplication tables?
    Anyway - masks (dust traps); costumes (dust traps); puppets (dust traps) - anything 3d is a dust trap.
    Theatre posters - oh, sorry.

5. Talking of Drama rooms, am I the only one who hates black boxes?

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No so much for the 'wow' factor but for practicality, get several rows of coat hooks - preferably over a radiator for wet things to dry over. Saves bumf all over the floor or piled in corners.

7. MissRobinson4

MissRobinson4 New commenter

I would second that, an IWB is essential.

A blank wall would make a great place to display any scenery the kids have worked on, also I wouldn't worry about leaving it blank for now, less distracting for kids (especially any SEN kids). You could try having it as a room that grows across the school year, then at the beginning of the new year it is a blank canvas again?