1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama PGCE?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Daniiiii, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Hello,

There don't seem to be a lot of Drama PGCE courses. Can I find out a bit more about how current Drama teachers firstly gained experience in schools, and how they ultimately got their current job?

Thanks!

2. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Drama PGCEs are being drastically cut unfortunately. Best to train on the job - SCITT or through the School Direct route.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It is unfortunately one of those subjects that almost cyclicly swells and shrinks budget or school priority depending.

As a pupil my school didn't place much importance on drama and what had been the drama studio was a lost property dumping ground…
    I started teaching without a PGCE at a time when there was a suddenly a desperate shortage of drama teachers and those same studios were being unearthed and revived.

4. SFVoisey

SFVoisey New commenter

Hi Dani,

I'm currently on a Drama PGCE course with Warwick University and I would highly recommend it! I got my experience through working with youth theatres and companies that went into schools to do Drama. I also worked in a school in a non-drama based setting, I would recommend doing both of these to help gain some experience of Drama and of school life generally. I found work experience quite easy to do as well, by contacting local schools and spending time with them in the Drama department. I hope this helps and good luck!

Sara

5. rebecca_harris141

rebecca_harris141 New commenter

I'm currently on a brand new drama PGCE at Bath Spa. They've been running other secondary subjects for a good while with wonderful results. I can safely say the convenor of the PGCE secondary is exceptionally helpful and my Drama convenor may be brand new but has decades of experience. Hopefully they keep her and the Drama PGCE next year! :)