1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Daniiiii, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Hello,

There don't seem to be a lot of Drama PGCE courses. Can I find out a bit more about how current Drama teachers firstly gained experience in schools, and how they ultimately got their current job?

Thanks!

2. missjohnsondreams

missjohnsondreams New commenter

Hi,
    Unfortunately, Drama teachers are not in high demand and it can be very competitive to get onto a Drama PGCE course. Have you considered being a cover supervisor in a school? You would get classroom experience and can show a special interest in drama; helping out with extra-curricular activities. It does not matter if you have experience within your chosen subject, developing strategies for effective classroom management will be invaluable to you when you start your training.
    I hope this helps.
    Also, possibly look at a second subject? English?

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I love drama students on my English course. They make great English teachers and the schools often give them drama on the timetable to practice.

And apply for a drama PGCE as soon as they open for a good chance to get on. They are uncapped this year so first in is first on!