1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DRAMA PGCE HELP ! :)

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by saradaniels, Jan 28, 2011.

1. I am currently obtaining my 3 Year BA Honors degree and I want to progress onto a PGCE to eventually teach drama I can only find the course I need at Manchester Met university and I dont want to move I currently live in Sheffield. Anyone done or in the progress of doing a drama pgce ?

Please help

2. I am currently obtaining my 3 Year BA Honors degree and I want to progress onto a PGCE to eventually teach drama I can only find the course I need at Manchester Met university and I dont want to move I currently live in Sheffield. Anyone done or in the progress of doing a drama pgce ?

Please help

3. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I think you may need to be a little bit more flexible when you are applying. I know of people who have applied for 5 or 6 years to get onto a teacher training course in drama, it is not a shortage subject, and with the introduction of the EBAC there is the thought that schools may scrap subjects such as drama, in favour of giving more lessons including in the EBAC. You haven't said when you are intending on applying, this year or next? You may find some courses are allready full if applying this year.
    My advice would be to open your application up by applying to GTP routes too, and to think carefully as to if you could relocate.
    Sorry this was such a negative response, when i applied I was sure I had enough experience etc and probably did, but nobody warned me about how few spaces there are and just how tough it is to get on.
    Good Luck

4. Are chester still running the course? Thats pretty good, you need to be applying now for Sept 2011, or you might of missed it.

5. The link I put up has expired but if you go to the GTTR site (google it!) you can do the search. It also lists which institutions still have places. :)

6. Hi,
    I was also in your position two years ago. I lived in York and wanted to go to Manchester to do my drama PGCE but the places were taken up within a week of the course opening. I had to look further a field and I am now studying in Middlesex. I understand that you don't want to move away, I didn't, but now I am here I love it and the lecturer running the course is the guru of drama in education so it is well worth it. Try looking at the GTP like others have said, but i suggest that if you really want to be a drama teacher, go for it and move where ever it takes you. It's only a year and then you can move back like I am going to come July. I applied to Edinburgh, Abberyswyth but there is also one in Birmingham if you don't want to move that far. Hope this helps and you get on a course.

Chris