1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DRAMA PGCE ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by MrDramaGuy22, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MrDramaGuy22

MrDramaGuy22 New commenter

I am starting my secondary PGCE in drama come September, and through the summer between finishing my undergraduate degree and now; so far I have;

• Read a handful of curriculum relevant plays that I was either unfamiliar with or have not read for a long time.
    • Tried my best to keep up-to-date with general education and teaching news (mostly via tes community or news sections of this site).
    • Bought lovely stationery
    • Am currently reading ’ Progression in Secondary Drama’ (Andy Kempe / Marigold Ashwell) and 'Getting the ******* to behave' (Sue Cowley)
    • Going over drama techniques and or subject specific criteria to brush up on subject knowledge.
    After reading forums, blogs, the studentroom etc… I still feel as though the course and the workload are going to hit me like a ton of bricks. Is there something I should be doing other than that of which I already am? I like to be prepared and organised. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

2. AliJC

AliJC New commenter

Hi James,
    You've done brilliantly! I'd write yourself a couple of pick up and go drama lessons. Get a plan created - aims, objectives, methods, reflection, evaluation, etc. Look at what you'd cover in an hour, a month, a term, etc. and prep lessons, units, a scheme, accordingly. It might also help (although it's a tad OCD) to catalogue games - warm-ups, ice-breakers, name games, etc. I actually have these written out on index cards and filed in a little box. I know it's sad but I can grab the right game for any occasion that way! Get some schemes of work too if you can. I've written a short one on Hamlet and a longer Cinderella SoW, just visit my shop Arts On The Move. There's lots of stuff out there. Visit websites and download material that you like. Stick it in folders - Shakespeare, poetry, history, ethics, technology, etc. etc. Collate some props/stimuli - combs, beanbags, hats, letters, news headlines, text messages, poems, works of art, quotations, personal items such as glasses, a shoe, etc. - that can be used to create or inspire during lessons. Get yourself a nice bag to carry everything in!
    Wishing you all the best - have fun!

JamesSisterson likes this.
  3. MrDramaGuy22

MrDramaGuy22 New commenter

Thanks so much, really appreciate it. :)

4. AliJC

AliJC New commenter

You're welcome. Have lots of fun. Remember to smile. Break a leg!