1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drama on the curriculum

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by faeriedust, Dec 5, 2009.

1. hello there, i am currently writting my final year
    dissertation and struggling to come up with a short and
    snappy title. at the minute it is this
    'could implementing drama in the primary curriculum improve
    social issues regarding young adults in today's society'
    bit long winded i know....any ideas?

2. hello there, i am currently writting my final year
    dissertation and struggling to come up with a short and
    snappy title. at the minute it is this
    'could implementing drama in the primary curriculum improve
    social issues regarding young adults in today's society'
    bit long winded i know....any ideas?

3. Primary Drama: a positive step in tackling social issues faced by young adults?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Oh dear. I fear this dissertation might end in tears.

5. How about:
    Teaching, Tears and Tantrums; a study of the relevance of drama in primary schools?

:) Good luck!

6. The short answer to your question 'could implementing drama in the primary curriclum improve social issues regarding young adults in today's society' is no. There is no evidence that drama influences social issues. There's plenty of enthusiastic opinion to suggest it does but precious little evidence to back up the opinion.
    Drama is 2500 year old art form - for 2450 of those years it existed without any reference to social change. It was only in the 1950's that any one ie Peter Slade in 'Child Drama' 1956 suggested that there was a link. My favourite quote from the book 'Any boy who has not done drama is quite frankly a lout.' From then on drama teaching seemed to head up a very strange ideological cul de sac.
    The link between social development and drama is a self referencing piece of folk lore that drama teachers keep repeating as if it is fact. It's like the idea that drama develops social confidence - all nonsense really.

7. Not true. The whole point of the Greek Drama festivals was to prevent rival Greek states going to war by involving theselves in Dramatic competition; as such, Greek Drama was a construct for social change. Then, of course, there was the manipulation of the masses by the churches through the mounting of the Mystery Plays.
    And so on.
    Drama has always been a force for social change.
    Having said that, I think the OP will have a struggle with the chosen / allocated topic.
    Clive
    www.resources4drama.co.uk

8. 'The whole point of the Greek Drama festivals was to prevent rival Greek states going to war by involving theselves in Dramatic competition.'
    Even if what you say is true, and I don't think it is; drama clearly didn't work in it's attempt to prevent Greek states going to war. Greece was often at war and was finally defeated by the Trojans. The evidence would suggest Drama had no effect.
    Surely what drama does is to tell us about ourselves;
    'The purpose of playing, whose end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold as 'twere the
    mirror up to nature'.
    Whether or not that influences social change is a debatable point.

9. Conrad81

Conrad81 New commenter

I think the idea of holding a mirror up to nature, and reflecting on ourselves, is part of change no?
    Once we reflect, we automatically begin to observe what could be changed. What if?

10. depends what type of drama. Performative drama is totally different to using drama as a tool for learning (Heathcote, Edminstone etc). Why the focus on social issues regarding young people? do you mean that the primary children are classed as 'young people' or do you mean ' young people' in the traditional sense which is usually KS3 upwards? this lacks clarity? perhaps better t look at social responsibility or something like that. What is it you want to find out? what are you interested in??

11. Save yourt breath - the thread is three years old.
    The OP has probably graduated, done NQT year and left teaching by now.
    Or is a Deputy Head.

12. Hehe! :D

13. hahaha!