1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama GCSE OCR Spec

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by nickileigh, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Dear all,

I have posted on here numerous times with no success, I am really having a hard time with the new spec. Has anyone got any examples of working records that they could help me with? I know there is one already in the reources part of TES but this is not helpful really for Unit 2 A583. Really do doubt my own teaching ability and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Nicki

2. Dear all,

I have posted on here numerous times with no success, I am really having a hard time with the new spec. Has anyone got any examples of working records that they could help me with? I know there is one already in the reources part of TES but this is not helpful really for Unit 2 A583. Really do doubt my own teaching ability and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Nicki

3. Hi Nicki,
    I need to get my head around this too. Went to training in november to try too. they said there that on the ocr website they were setting up a chat system and help for us to use. not sure if it is up and running but could try there.
    orry can not be more helpful but if need to talk about ideas please feel free to contact again

Dawnie26

4. <font size="2">Dear Nicki,</font><font size="2">Forgive me if I point out the obvious here at all:</font><font size="2">I find that with the Working Records a very clear structure for the students is the way forward. Sometimes the written element of Drama exams can be a little too 'open' and I find this leads to confusion as to <u>how</u> we can ensure students meet the requirements of the criteria. </font><font size="2">So, I always give them a step by step 'tick sheet' to guide them through each section (1, 2 and 3) along with the choice of how they present their ideas (i.e. mind map, essay, annotated pictures etc). </font><font size="2">I am about to do the 10 hours of Part 2 so am putting together the W/R structure as far as I can work it out in order to meet the assessment criteria. Stupidly, the assessment criteria for AO3 (the W/R) doesn't specifically mention the role of design, directing or devisor giving no sense of what is expected within it with regards to these working contexts! Very badly written, I say. The only guidance I can find it that Part 2 should be, 'a description of how all three items link to the stimulus and how they make an engaging, workable drama' and Part 3 is a 'review of these' plus 'one other item presented by a group or individual'.</font><font size="2">Prior to Unit 2, I have spent a lot of time with my students on how to structure their paragraphs in both Part 2 and 3 using the PEAD structure (in essence: point = the performance choice/design choice, evidence = description of exactly how used, analysis = impact or effect aimed for or if in the case of Part 3, achieved and development = links between that choice and the s/h/c context and themes/issues). I have scaffolded this through modelling, writing frames and formative feedback with the chance to redraft etc. </font><font size="2">It is worth remembering that Part 1 is <u>not</u> assessed and can be completed as part of a group (personally I think this is daft).</font><font size="2">During the controlled assessment you are permitted to read the student's work and give them feedback. You are not permitted to allow them to redraft after the assessment time is over (as it actually stated in one part of the spec' believe it or not! One of the examiners at OCR was most perturbed when I pointed out that this statement contradicted all guidelines for the new controlled assessments).</font> <font size="2">As and when I have written the structure I am happy to share it. I have no idea if it&rsquo;ll be correct or not, but I will do my best to make sure it enables the audience to meet the assessment criteria. Lord knows what feedback we&rsquo;ll get from the exam board after the first batch of students go through this year, I expect half the problem with the spec' being so vague is that the examiners who wrote it didn't honestly know what they wanted from the students.</font>
    <font size="2">Hope so of this is helpful. My apologies if not!</font><font size="2">Jess.</font>

5. Thank you for this Jess, really appreciate the help! I have managed to put something together, but would be great to see what you have done as well? I know what you mean about waiting to hear back about the feedback, I have absolutely know idea if I am on the right track, who knows.
    Great to hear from you
    Nicki

6. Hi to you both,

I too am struggling wth the new spec. if you have a working record guide I would love a copy please.

Are you doing the realisation? What do you think of the stimuli?

Kind regards
    Susan