1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama as a tool to stimulate original writing

Discussion in 'English' started by bgy1mm, Jan 7, 2011.

1. That's a very hard assignment. Passable drama is easier to write than passable narrative, you simply create a situation and write down what the a characters would say. But a monologue is probably more difficult than either to carry off. All your resources have to arise from the speech itself.
    However there are some works which consist of monologues.

2. I would have a look at the English and Media magazine, if you can get a hold of copies. Teachers often write up case studies compelted in schools and I know I've read lots of articles on drama based studies, to inform/improve writing.

http://www.englishandmedia.co.uk/emag/

3. Hi there,

That sounds like a really interesting assignment.
    You should post here how you get on.

Best wishes

4. Hi
    Thanks for that, I will let you know how I get on. I based this on the fact that I did a piece of drama with students in lesson last year and then spent about an hour with a couple while they wrote a monologue. I took them on a kind of mind journey, prompting them to be in role and then got them to write it. They both achieved a C grade for this piece of work. Hence why trying it in a more controlled fashion. Whilst it will only be small we are hoping that it can be used to persuade a greater link between the two faculties and assist some students with completing coursework to a higher grade.

5. GCSE examiners aren't really looking to spot professional dramatists in the making. They're interested mainly in the grammatical correctness and technical sophistication of written language.
    Whilst your activity is very worthwhile, it's not a silver bullet for GCSE passes - fortunately, in English that is still difficult, sucess can only come through many years of competent teaching - and you shouldn't judge success by the grade achieved.