1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drama and Language variation...Desperately need help!

Discussion in 'English' started by dee.ranged, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dee.ranged

dee.ranged New commenter

I'm having a small panic here. I have to teach drama and language to a very, very low ability year 7 class after half term. A large proportion of the class can't read properly and writing is incredibly difficult for them all as well. I have literally no idea how to approach this.

So far I've thought of starting them off looking at a playscript extract and labelling the different bits for the conventions of a script... Then using the scene to do drama in small groups but they are quite badly behaved so drama worries me a little bit!

I then thought of using you tube clips of different dialects to get them thinking about language in a social context but wasn't sure how to develop this...

I'm just a little bit stuck :( any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

2. dee.ranged

dee.ranged New commenter

I'm having a small panic here. I have to teach drama and language to a very, very low ability year 7 class after half term. A large proportion of the class can't read properly and writing is incredibly difficult for them all as well. I have literally no idea how to approach this.

So far I've thought of starting them off looking at a playscript extract and labelling the different bits for the conventions of a script... Then using the scene to do drama in small groups but they are quite badly behaved so drama worries me a little bit!

I then thought of using you tube clips of different dialects to get them thinking about language in a social context but wasn't sure how to develop this...

I'm just a little bit stuck :( any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

3. Have you thought about some improv? Remove the writing and reading element for a bit and just have them do some role play to get into it. Can you explain the language element a bit further? What are the overall learning outcomes of the module? How long do you have to do it and how often?