1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drainpipe questions - for the DIY minded.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hello lovely TESsers. I am trying to sort out my water butt. I have various bits of drainpipe but before I go ahead an balls it all up could you please help me with these questions.
    1. What is the best way to cut drainpipe? Can I just use a saw?
    2. How do I join two pieces together? I'm talking about the bits that kind of slot inside each other - Is there some sort of adhesive that I should/could use?
    3. How long should the bit that goes into the drainpipe be? Should it go just inside the water butt or near to the bottom, halfway even?
    Thanking you all in advance.

2. 1. Yes...a hack saw is good.
    2. They are push fit...you may find that the tee/elbow has a rubber seal ring on the inside of the bit the pipe pushes into.
    3. I would say about 6 inches into the but...ooo-err.

3. BTW if you want all the water from the roof to go into the but...make sure it is postioned below the lowest part of the guttering.

4. Thank you. I think they are meant to be push fit but are now quite old so I'm thinking some kind of adhesive will be necessary. Certainly when I tried to bodge it together yesterday it all fell apart after 20 minutes.

5. bnm

bnm

I was considering our water butt whilst in bed this morning listening to the rain. It's been sitting in the garage for a fair few years waiting to be fitted.
    What happens if it rains a lot and the water butt gets full? Does it explode? Does it have an emergency pipe that leads to the drains? Does it just leak everywhere?
    I clearly have too little on my mind during the holidays that I find the time to stress about these things.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

It will over flow and leak out.

To help this ours is kept on a pile of bricks to raise it off the floor, and several small holes are cut into the butt itself higher up so the water will start to trickle out when it reaches that point, rather than waiting till it is totally full and flow out the top!

But to remember to keep water levels lower in winter or disconnect the in pipe, to stop the water splitting the butt when the water freezes.

7. bnm

bnm

Thank-you, elfie. The water butt life seems to be full to difficulties.
    I also have the impression it will get all stagnant and smelly.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Surely if you want to fill a water butt from a drainpipe you insert an interceptor/collector device on the drainpipe that regulates the flow of water into the butt at the drainpipe end? Any surplus water once the butt is full goes straight down the drainpipe and not all over everywhere. That's what I've got anyway - works just fine.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Ha you see mines connected to the greenhouse so no natural drainpipe there.

10. bnm

bnm

Aha! I never thought of that!

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Sankey rainwater diverter.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Likewise, this item at Wickes - a snip at £3.25

My main problem this holiday has been a leaky butt (fnarr fnarr) but it's sorted now.