1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dragon Topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by uk2020, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi All

Looking to start a new creative topic on dragons in Y6 in Sept. Any suggestions for literacy or topic links? Also what about role play?

2. Hi All

Looking to start a new creative topic on dragons in Y6 in Sept. Any suggestions for literacy or topic links? Also what about role play?

3. We are doing Mythical creatures. I am basing my class literacy on Beowulf (he kills a dragon as well as Grendel) as part of the topic will be about the Anglo-Saxons as well. I found a really good version of Beowulf in Usborne Young Readers. Dragonology has a lot of books to go with it and the children could be adventurers collecting dragon skin and finding different dragons, maybe writing a diary of their adventures?
    Science - habitats, geography - where do the different dragons live?
    Hope it helps a bit. I haven't done my topic web yet so they are just ideas off the top of my head :)

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

"How To Train Your Dragon" great book and DVD! We took notes from the film and wrote our own instructions. There's also a lot of information about different types of dragon so children could create fact files / non chronological reports. We also watched a clip from Harry Potter and wrote a description about a fierce dragon hunting at night. Kids loved it and used some lovely vocabulary.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. Tell me a dragon by Jackie Morris (Look at it on Amazon)

This book is great for creative writing about dragons. If you love picture books, you'll love this!

8. I have mixed Year 5/6 and we are going to use 'Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons' by Helen Ward. Using it as a Literacy Unit to support writing of non chronological reports.

9. imc

imc

Inside the Dragon - by Robert Swindells
    The book is about a group of children who make a carnival Dragon for a village festival but then find the beast is taking over. Could lend itself to some great art work and is about spot on as an age related text.

10. imc

imc