1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Draft Curriculum or Framework?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuffedcrust, Jul 24, 2012.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

What will you be using to plan your Literacy and Numeracy from September?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

NC level expectations, same as last year. You?

3. stuffedcrust

I've got a mixed Y3/4 class for the first time so was looking for a little guidance with regards to text types etc. I've looked at the Framework and the Support for spelling but I'm not really sure yet. Need to read the draft curriculum more closely!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I use APP type explanations of levels and plan to teach the next steps.

In terms of genres, I just teach a variety. As I had year 2 last year, we had a big focus on story writing because that is what they need for level 2 really. But also a big focus on basic sentence structure, spelling and handwriting. I think year 3 and 4 might be trickier though and I can't help at all with text types. Sorry.

Does your school not give guidance?

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

The draft curriculum is just that at the moment - draft. I wouldn't spend time developing plans until there is more certainty of what the final version will be. In any case, it doesn't start until 2013.
    If you need guidance then Google mixed aged planning and you'll see several counties have planning available for all sorts of combinations in both literacy and numeracy.
    I would use Support for Spelling and use the Spelling Bank as another document to aid you in your spelling work.

6. stuffedcrust

Thank you both for your advice. Minnie minx - guidance from my school? That's a sore point at the moment! For September we are missing a Head, a Deputy and members of SLT with KS2 experience. Tricky times ahead!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL A great many teachers dream of returning to school with those people missing!

What did you use last year?

8. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

The years you are teaching need a variety of non fiction types esp non chronological reports, recounts, explanation and I would break down narrative into aspects of stories especially developing the middle and endings and don't forget poetry. There are a lot of resources out there to help if you google. I wouldn't touch the draft framework, we don't know how much it will change before the actual curriculum is released

9. Can you speak to the Y2 and 3 teachers who have had your class previously? The main problem with Literacy is selecting the texts and ensuring that you don't spend ages planning a unit based on a text they did last year. Years 2 and 4 are very similar in the framework and it would be easy to select the same text. Good luck!

10. stuffedcrust

Minnie - some of the absent staff will be missed and others definitely won't! ;0) I've used the Framework as guidance previously.

Zugthebug - thank you for your ideas. It does seem premature to consider the draft curriculum with all the changes that are likely!

Teacher1974 - I'm keeping 10 of my previous children who will be Y4 in September and gaining 15 Y3s. What I'm conscious of, is not overlooking the basic skills from Y3 and moving the children on too quickly and having to go back to fill the gaps. It was my first time in Y3 this year and I presumed too much!

11. I had this situation last year where I kept my current class and gained new ones as we changed from straight Y3 to mixed 3/4. I taught all the Y4 text types, but scaled down the objectives to meet the needs of the Y3's. You need to make sure the Y4's have covered everything they need to before they move to Y5. the Y3's will presumably have another year with you to then be taught the Y3 text ttypes which they haven't covered this year?