1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dracula-recommended passages to study for gothic horror?

Discussion in 'English' started by amylong, Jan 25, 2012.

1. amylong

amylong New commenter

Hi all, I'm teaching Dracula to yr 13 for their elelments of gothic-am panicking as have them tomorrow, and am drawing a blank-I read it all a little while back but haven't time to look at the whole text before tomorrow!! Could anyone recommend a particular part I could focus on with them-a chapter/passage? At the moment, I'm aimlessly reading/panicking...

2. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

Sorry this is probably too late. I taught elements of the Gothic last year. The part where Mina see Lucy in the churchyard and then has to run across the bridge to get to her -it's got lots of gothic elements. I also looked at the part where Jonathan Harker is in Dracula's castle and the three vampire women are about to attack him.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think the most horrible bit is when Jonathon looks out of his window in the castle and sees Dracula climbing up the vertical wall. His horror and shock make my flesh crawl every time I read it..
    What a wonderful book. Apparently, It's never been out of print. I wish I'd written it - a million times scarier than Frankinstein.
    My favourite line?

Memo: must give recipe to Mina.