1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dr Who

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happyhopey, Jan 4, 2011.

1. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Has anyone used Dr Who as a way of engaging reluctant learners and encouraging accelerated progress. I think it has potential. Would like to collect ideas, resources etc.

Dr Who themed VCOP
    finding vocab in dr who books. describing scenes of new planet.. examples of sentences used by doctor to describe scenes, situations and characters. story planning. must be loads of ideas. Please add to the list. Those are just first thoughts while in bed with flu

2. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Has anyone used Dr Who as a way of engaging reluctant learners and encouraging accelerated progress. I think it has potential. Would like to collect ideas, resources etc.

Dr Who themed VCOP
    finding vocab in dr who books. describing scenes of new planet.. examples of sentences used by doctor to describe scenes, situations and characters. story planning. must be loads of ideas. Please add to the list. Those are just first thoughts while in bed with flu

3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

I love Doctor Who, and I've often thought about whether it could be used in teaching. Especially the episodes where the Doctor goes back in time - the episodes in Pompeii, Victorian London or Scotland, World War Two, Elizabethan England - these all touch on primary history topics. And there's all the science, or "science" in Doctor Who; the stories, for English lessons; plenty of maths opportunities, I should say (work out how much time the Doctor has to save the world, given that he has to run 50 metres, fighting a monster every five metres - average fight takes 4 seconds...)
    I'd certainly look forward to hearing what other people have to say on this thread!

4. We did a whole unit of work on Doctor Who and a crash nearby...
    This is the letter I sent home to parents. It was brilliant and worked wonderfully! This is in Y2.

5. Above post looks horrible... sorry...the letter did not look like that!

6. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

great ideas, keep them coming. Scholastic should develop something appropriate I feel