1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dr Who

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Dec 25, 2010.

1. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

So far, so boring. I thought the new Doctor got better towards the end of the series but the Christmas special is pretty rubish.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well just finished. Have to agree.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I was touched in some ways. But not as good as the Christmas cycberman one with the alternative David Morrisey doctor.

4. i agree too.
    i thought matt smith was excellent but the overall episode wasnt great at all. very disappointed.

5. Sorry - can't agree [​IMG] I thoroughly enjoyed it - little touches of humour made me laugh out loud and I liked the story!

6. I loved it... it was a distinctive Steven Moffat storyline and very reminiscent of the episode he wrote for David Tennant - The Girl in the Fireplace... I actually thought it was nice not to have monsters chasing them... and the trailer certainly indicates lots of action and adventure to follow... so a gentle lead in for the year...
    I'm still not sold on Matt Smith, being a totally addicted David Tennant fan... but the more I see him in the role the more I am growing to like him and this episode helped his credibility in the role for me...
    But I respect that everyone has their own opinions about what they like and don't like.... and I liked this...

7. I also thought it was a bit poor. Steven Moffat episodes are always a bit sappy for my liking.
    New Dr has grown on me, and def like Amy but it was too christmassy and sentimental for me.
    I much preferred the Misfits Christmas special...

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It kept my attention but I didn't think it was one of the better ones. It all felt a bit contrived and forced ie 'How can we parallel A Christmas Carol, showcase Katherine Jenkins, and incorporate some fashionable Steampunk set design?'

9. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I like the fish theme running through it but then I am a fish whisperer. I enjoyed it becuase it was totally different from the usually Dr Who.

10. Boring. Too much Chritsmas not enough Who.

11. It was OK and I got the Christmas message (how could you fail to?) but my children seemed bored (not the point, surely?) and they asked why Dumbledore was in it! A bit of over-exposure, perhaps?!
    I think Matt Smith has the potential to be very good (he was actually better in the Sarah Jane Mysteries earlier in the day) but I don't think they have got the writing quite right - it's neither appealing fully to children or adults, whereas in the DT series, they seemed to get the balance better and my children were gripped.
    The effects also seem to be less effective - the shark and the space plane about to crash...not very frightening IMO.

12. Just watched it. I loved the fish out of water idea - and that singing could make the world a better place.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The downhill slither continues. Sigh.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why does a society that is technologically advanced enough to control the sky and cryogenically freeze half the population rely on oil lamps to light its homes?

15. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

At least,it looks like River Song will be back soon.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I Agree. I liked it. It can get a bit much with the same monsters turning up time and time again.
    Then again I love Katherine Jenkins so it was always going to be a winner for me [​IMG]

17. Will probably watch it today along with the rest of christmas day tv ... I will not expect too much

18. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Halfway through the episode, I turned to my partner and said "A lot of loyal Doctor Who fans will hate this."
    It wasn't very exciting and seemed to just plod along.
    I am looking forward to the new series with aliens though! My OH said it looked like one of the Cantina Band from Star Wars scene. Maybe they were wanting to recruit the Doctor?

19. I've not watched it yet and I am now a little concerned it will be rubbish. I Loved David Tennant as The Doctor, but Matt Smith is doing well. I'm not that keen on Amy and Rory though. She's better on her own, but at least with Rory around there's less chance of romance between her and The Doctor.