1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dr Theo - how long to wait after the interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1127, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hello Theo.

I had an interview yesterday morning, and was told I would be informed of my success or otherwise by the evening... well, it is now the next day evening, and I still have not heard anything...

I really want to know either way, as I I don't want to hang on to my hopes (which faded completely to almost nothing after 8pm last night)

I was wondering how soon would be reasonable to ring and ask about what the situation really is.

I really think I know I have not been successful, even though I was really pleased with how all the interview process went, I just need to hear it from the horse's mouth to be able to put it in the box and carry on with the applications.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nail-biting time - it's terrible, isn't it?
    A school may not ring when it said it would because the first choice candidate may have asked for 24 hours to think it over. (Or to go to another interview - but that's not usually the reason they give the school!).
    So the school hangs on, so that they can contact choice 2 if choice 1 withdraws.
    I think that they should have warned you if they couldn't give you the answer when they said that they would.
    But it could be good news if you are their Plan B person!
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo, I was thinking that may be the case.

I will sit and try to avoid thinking about it for another evening!

I suppose at least I have a full day of supply tomorrow to keep me busy.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I asked a colleague today how he got on last Monday & apparently they are doing a second raft of interviews tomorrow, so he won't be told till Friday.!

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Lara the same thing has happened to a student in my school - I think there are so many applying and so few jobs they can afford to take their time!

6. Well I never heard back from the school.

I am rather gutted about this. I spent ages preparing my application and my lesson, and to hear nothing.

Not impressed at all.

7. amykins959

amykins959 New commenter

OMG
    Thats so unproffesional! Didn't you phone them at all?

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you're unsuccessful at interview apparently it's quite common for them to just send a letter. I received a letter over a week after my interview - by which point I'd already seen the job readvertised. So you might still hear something, but even so, I hated that I'd given them a day of my time coming for interview (not to mention time for interview prep) and they couldn't give me a quick phone call or even e-mail to say "Thanks but no thanks."

9. I rang, was told someone would be in contact and nothing.

10. This has happened to me lots, I thought the feedback would be useful.........not so much if there isnt any!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not to get back to candidates after interview, or to keep them waiting several days, is extremely rude, in my view.
    I know that a job, (any job!), is what you want, but frankly if that's the way that they treat people, you may have had a lucky escape.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

12. I'm in that exact position right now. Interview/assessment day was on Tuesday (having already had the first interview in the previous week!), they said they had more candidates on Wednesday so they would get back to us by the end of the week. I've kind of accepted that I haven't got it now but I'd just like to know for sure! Especially after missing 1 and a half days pay for interviews, an email would be nice. Think I'm going to call Monday afternoon...

13. I had an interview about three weeks ago and never had any response from the school at all!!! unbelievable!!