1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dr signed me off but still school are contacting me

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bettieblu, Oct 10, 2016.

1. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

just over a week ago I was so ill that I was admitted to hospital, I was there for three nights, I had to send cover in via text. I am currently on a 14 day sick note and hope to be able to return next week. The first day that I did not send cover in last week I got a message advising me it was difficult for the cover teacher to take my class in my absence. This weekend I accidentally clicked on my emails and my LM has emailed implying that I need to be in work. I have ignored this. Today I have had two missed calls from school wanting me to answer some questions. Do I contact/ respond to them or leave it? I am going to send some cover for my exam classes tonight via my personal email address as I dare not look at my school emails again.
    Any advice gratefully received, I've never been sick before so this is all new to me.

2. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

No. This is wrong. You really need to speak to your union and your GP. You absolutely must not be harassed whilst you are not well / convalescing. Please make sure you don't click on your emails accidentally or otherwise whilst you are off sick, and please don't send work from your private email account. One, you shouldn't use that for school communications, and two, it gives them the go ahead to contact you via that method too.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

No. The trouble is they probably do not understand how seriously ill you have been, if you continue to respond they will keep asking you things as they think you are well enough to respond, just ignore and make sure you get someone to keep sending in your Dr's certificates (get them to keep copies) and if possible keep a brief diary.

It's an awful situation to be in but clearly nothing you can do about it because you are sick.

4. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

Thanks, I feel really bad about my exam classes tbh and that's why I was tempted to send something. After the calls today I'm not going to do that after all, I was thinking of using my personal emails so I didn't see the hundreds of emails that have been sent to me in my absence but will take your advice and not send in any. I am seeing my GP again tomorrow and the union are already on the case with another issue, not related to my illness. This situation is definitely not helping - so I should continue to not respond to calls?

thekillers likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Your note will say you are 'not fit for work'.

Email the following to everyone.

"I am currently, in the opinion of my doctor, not fit for work. I am complying with my doctor's orders by not doing school work of any kind. As soon as I am deemed fit for work I shall inform you. Until then I shall not be replying to any correspondence on the subject. I thank you for your understanding at this time."

6. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

Thank you.
    I feel quite helpless at the moment to be honest as this is all new to me.
    I am not responding to anything now, not even texts from my dept as I suspect SLT are asking them to contact me or share responses.

Mrsmumbles and ValentinoRossi like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

Don't take calls. None. Do not pick up. Email is under your control. Email you send. Not email you read. So you send ONE email only.

8. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

Thank you. Should I send that to my LM and HR?

9. grumpydogwoman

CC that email to everyone and anyone. Keep a note of all these texts though. They may constitute harassment. You never know when you might need them. Do not delete.

10. grumpydogwoman

So, if anyone contacts you, you will have made it known that your good health depends upon being left alone to recuperate. Then they have no excuse. They DID know not to get in touch.

Mrsmumbles, install, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  11. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

Great will send it tonight ..
    Thank you. I have all text messages and obviously the emails that have been sent, plus the messages left today asking me to call to answer questions. It's good to know I'm not alone.

12. needabreak

Yes that is a difficult on because work colleagues may be genuinely concerned but it gets all messy when they are then asked for information so best leave it and concentrate on getting well.

I think it is probably worse when you haven't been ill before but thats why sharing on here can help, there are so many perspectives. It has helped me through all sorts in the past *long long ago ;)

I do hope your recovery goes well and you get to switch your phone off and get some peace. I remember my line manager calling to ask for my mock grades and she didn't realise I had been admitted to hospital, your job is nothing without your health so take care.:)

13. grumpydogwoman

It is fine to text one friend and say, "Thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate it.Give people my regards. I hope I'm better soon. I'm not contacting everyone because I'm not well enough. Thank you."

Note that this doesn't mention work. If people want to send their love then that's fine but any mention of work and you don't respond. It's fine if they bring you chocs or flowers or take you out for coffee at the weekend. But no work talk. It all depends on what YOU want. You are now in charge of your destiny and have to use this time wisely to improve your wellbeing. You. Not the job.

14. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Your health comes first, above all else. I hope you feel better soon.

15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Your colleagues should know better than to do anything other than pass on good wishes and reassurance by text. SMT get paid the big bucks to deal with stuff like this.

plot71, grumpydogwoman and phlogiston like this.
  16. needabreak

They should indeed, however I suspect a simple "Oh have you heard from xxxx?" could turn into something more difficult to deal with, "How are they?.... What happened? Do you know when they will be back?... etc", awkward for the friend/colleague, well actually I know it can be and lets face it SMT for the most part will want to know when it is likely someone will come back or indeed if they will during uncertain times, it is a dilemma.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If, as I hope, you don't want to even open your work email account, get your union to send an email of the kind @grumpydogwoman suggests. You don't have to do it yourself.

plot71 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  18. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

When I've texted absent colleagues it never occurred to me to say anything about work or to SLT. If I'm texting good wishes it would be with all sincerity.
    Mind, my SLT knew better to ask me if I'd heard from absent colleagues as my answer would always be 'not in a professional all capacity' and that was the end of the discussion.

If you have a friendly relationship then by all means feel free to reply to well wishes but say you're too unwell to be in contact for work so not to take offence if ymyou go quiet. For SLT I'd just reiterate that you're off work unwell. They're paid money to sort this out. Why should you set cover so they can pay an unqualified person (I generalise) to watch them for an hour whilst holding you accountable for results. Not a chance. Rest and get better.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If you are that ill you are in hospital you should not be sending in cover! I agree with the above posters, you should send one email saying you are recovering and not to be contacted in this time.

The only exception to this general rule for any medium-long term time off work would be for things like broken legs IMO where you are well enough to send cover but not to 'be' there.

plot71 likes this.
  20. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

So I did as you all advised and got another phone call and text message today. Haven't answered either... This is not helping my recovery from hospital and also starting me make me feel extremely stressed about returning to work
    Suggestions welcome.