1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dr Faustus - critical material for A-level wanted

Discussion in 'English' started by edwina123456, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Does anyone have any critical material on Marlowe's Dr Faustus they could/would let me have please? I'm teaching it for A-level and am struggling to find suitable material.
    Thanking you in hopeful anticipation ...

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Yes - but it's in that thing called 'a book' [​IMG]

3. I can read 'books' - what's the title?

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

[​IMG]
    I can recommend 'The Cambridge Companion to Christopher Marlowe' Patrick Cheney Ed
    'Cristopher Marlowe: Poet and Spy' by Park Honan
    'Roaring Boys: Shakespeare's Rat Pack ' by Judith Cook, but only really worth buying for Shakespearean context. The 'Faustus' stuff is interesting, but limited.

5. There is a very good Casebook on Dr Faustus. Are the casebook editions still in print? You could try Amazon if they're not.

6. I can recommend the 'Philip Allen (sp?) Updates' book on Faustus (and any others from the same series). It has a whole section of critical material which is arranged chronologically (so you can explore audience responses over time).

7. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

8. Thank you all soooooooo very, very much. I am going to have a lovely time after work tomorrow, ordering books and, when they arrive, reading them ... Heaven!!
    Thank you. Thank you.