1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Downward spiral

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by CDuffy15, Oct 15, 2017.

1. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

A very disheartened NQT here. In march I had a cause for concern raised about behaviour management and have been given an extension until December. Since then, I have been taken out of my class 3 days a week and have been PPA teacher across the school. In addition, in the summer term i was given the support of an extra teaching practice at an outstanding school where the feedback was very positive all round and I was meeting targets. Now in this Autumn term, I'm still PPA and 2 days only in my class and it has been changed from a 3/4 to a 2/3/4 split with two very challenging characters and have had no meetings with anybody until last week where I was told that I am risking failing in December so have the choice of leaving or taking HLTA 3 days a week and pick up again when I'm ready. Can anybody suggest a next step to take as I really do not want to fail? Thank you.

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but how on earth can they expect you to improve behaviour management if you're only in your class 2 days? Behaviour management depends on establishing relationships and two days per week for the month and a half we've been in school so far is NOT enough.

Hopefully someone here will know who you can turn to for support and advice on this but I don't think the school is being fair to you, using you as PPA teacher.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Have you had any contact with the named person at the LA responsible for overseeing NQT induction? Contact them on Monday, and explain your situation. They are the people who grant extensions, so you should have met them before. Ask for advice. Also contact your union.

If I understand your post, as the above person also noted, you have only been teaching the class for 2 days a week, and doing PPA the other 3 days, since March? I'm not sure if that is appropriate for an NQT --- https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...tatutory_Induction_Guidance_December_2016.pdf --- see pages 10 and 11; how are you meant to make progress in relation to the teacher standards if you only see your class 2 days a week? Raise this with the named person at the LA.

Look at the document I've linked above - is your school following the statutory guidelines? For example, are you having mentor meetings? Have you been given targets, as well as a way to try to meet them? Something specific, rather than just 'you need to improve your behaviour management'.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

Thank you! It is nice to hear someone vocalise my thoughts.

5. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

No I haven't had any contact, only my HT has but they have suggested having an open phone call with the LA this week.
    Yes, since my CFC I have been job sharing in my class and PPA for years R-6, which has been continued into my ext period this term. Well that is something I wasn't sure of, as I am in my extension period at the moment, should I still be having regular meetings with my NQT mentor or not?

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

PPA work is not appropriate for NQT induction it does not allow you to complete the full teaching standards so your induction period should have been extended further pro rata because you are in effect part time only 2 days in class. There should have been a clear plan to address any areas of weakness in your induction this includes the on-going support of your mentor and release time.
    You need to contact the Appropriate Body- use email not phones- as there is then a record- and raise concerns as it is the AB who are responsible for formally extending any induction and also the overall quality of the induction provision.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm wondering how the cover is going. I always found behaviour management harder when I was doing cover. If you are coping with that then well done. The experience of R to Y6 is quite useful for you despite the unusual circumstances. As others have said, find out (from someone away from school) how you can complete your year as quickly as possible, whether it's at this school or another. The HLTA option sounds like a red herring. You can't be that "bad" if they would keep you on as HLTA.

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Wow, this is extremely concerning, that you have had the NQT induction extended by the LA without the LA even coming in to meet you!

You must contact your union - this is not an acceptable situation at all. Either the LA is not doing its job properly, or the school is not being honest with you.

Contact the LA directly (as @welshwizard says do it by email) - by 'open phone call' do you mean the HT will be listening in? NO WAY! Absolutely no way. Not happening. Not appropriate at all.

YES you should be having regular meetings with your mentor! You should have then anyway as an NQT, but you especially need them as you have had your induction extended!

Your school sounds disgraceful. I hope you realise that you need to find a job elsewhere, as the way they are treating you and handing your induction is appalling.

Pomz likes this.
  9. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

It isn't too bad actually! The most difficult time is in my own class. We have at least 6 challenging characters and with the added Y2 into the mix, it's a toughy. Hmm I have thought this, but I've just moved out and I'm scared other employers won't touch me. So i'm taking some breathing space and this job.

10. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

I've got a lot to think about. You've opened my eyes because I'm clearly CLUELESS! Thank you for the advice and response.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  11. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

Thank you for the advice!