1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Downsizing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We keep talking about it, weighing up the pros and cons, then putting it on the back burner. We need to stop drifting. We don't need a house this size - one bedroom is used as my hair salon, another as a walk in wardrobe and the third as MrDt's den. It's time. I'm just scared.
    Have you moved house and regretted it or was it the best move you made?:eek:

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

You can never have too many rooms Dun!

mrs-badger and Dunteachin like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We moved here in July. Took on a mortgage whereas we'd paid off the last house.

Love it! Best move ever.

Not downsizing though. Very much the reverse.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I only regretted one move and it was because of a neighbour who moved in a few months after we did. I like space so downsizing is possibly not for me! I'd think carefully about how you use your current house and what you need in a new house before even considering it. I've found in the past that what I wanted in a house wasn't really what I needed.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Could you have grandchildren in the future? In which case you'll need a playroom (so you don't have to completely re-organise the house: to avoid stray fingers/dangers or hazards to young ones. Even if they live nearby you might still have an overnight stay so you might need somewhere with a bed?

If you can afford to continue living there I would seriously consider it. I know someone who's just downsized and it's quite an upheaval and you do have to get rid of a lot of things if you're really downsizing. If you're only going down by one bedroom would the costs involved (it costs a lot to move) be worth it?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't move unless you need to release some equity or you can't stand the house/neighbourhood.

Don't move because you think you have too much space. There's no such thing.

sabrinakat and HelenREMfan like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm not so sure about that. It depends of everyone's personal circumstances. Like you, I love space in a home, but the more of it you have, the more cleaning and maintenance it needs. Sooner or later as we get older, the time will come when doing the chores becomes a significant challenge to keep up with. It's fine if the finances allow the employment of a cleaner and gardener etc. but for a lot of old people, finances get tight and don't run to this.

There's also the fact that heating bills will be significantly higher if you're in the habit of using the extra rooms.

Dunteachin likes this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Hmm. It's not about space, really - we want to release a load of cash! And move into another detached house, if possible. No less than 3 bedrooms. We'll only do it if we find a house we like and can bank around £100,000.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Wow! How big is your house that downsizing means 3 bedrooms?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We moved to be nearer family and back to a place we had been very happy. Definitely downsized and never regretted it. Have very little space to put up visitors, store clothes, hang on to things of sentimental value so, I've dumped unwanted "friends", thrown out all those clothes i will never wear again and acknowledged, that since my parents died, I do not want to have sentimental attachments to "stuff" - useful or beautiful is the by word in this house.
    On the other hand, it's cheap and easy to maintain, easy to clean, and we do have good living space - spacious kitchen, dining room with chairs by the french window where we live during the day, sitting room where we sit in the evening with the tele and study - the only really useful storage area, where we will sleep when we are more decrepit than now. The upstairs has two small bedrooms ( used to be a bungalow). Biggish garden that gives us great joy and backache and privacy. We can walk into town - a big plus for us, the cliche about location is SO true.

It's not for everyone - friends really love their old house and can't face moving although they keep talking about it - but brilliant for us. Our friends are like you, i don't think they'll ever find anything quite perfect. Compromise is ESSENTIAL when you're moving.

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I can see the sense of raising that extra cash...... but..... the thought of having to sort out all the junk I have here would completely put a stop on it for me !

I do dream of a large bungalow...... contained rear garden with views over open countryside and from the front a slightly elevated view of the sea (Yes I want it all!) However that will have to wait for lottery/premium bond significant win. (I would also then employ a firm to do ALL the packing and cleaning up here...... tho If a big enough win could just pass this house to elder girl.......

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Careful buying a house for the view! The farmer might sell the field to a house builder and before you know it, you have 500 houses behind you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I currently live in a three storey townhouse in a lovely location with lovely neighbours but having seen my 91 year old Dad struggle with a house which is totally inappropriate for his needs we won't be here forever. The trouble is that by the time you can't cope it's probably going to be too difficult to move so I intend to make sure I'm somewhere suitable for my extreme old age and infirmity before it happens.

lindenlea and Eureka! like this.
  14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Very wise. Could you build an extension with a downstairs bathroom and bathroom?

Lara mfl 05 and lindenlea like this.
  15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We shall downsize.....eventually.
    Belle Towers is a huge 6 bedroom barn conversion which is lovely, but expensive to run and ultimatelywill be way too big for the two of us.
    But we love to entertain, so it suits us perfectly at present.....a great house for parties, big or small.
    Also it is our pension! So we will need to release our equity at some point. But we are a good few years off that yet.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not where we are now although we already have a downstairs loo. Two flights of stairs both of which curve would make for nightmare stair lifts! The house is also only accessible by steps and you can't get a car right up to the front door. Neither of our elderly parents can get to it.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Shame.

lindenlea likes this.
  18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Seeing ones parents so frail certainly focuses the mind. Our friends already own an apartment in town and I think they might just hang on until that becomes appropriate. Releasing some money is possibly a bit optiimistic when you think what moving costs and how you'd be bound to want to update kitchen, bathrooms, floors etc. Round here, any property suitable for oldies has a real premium on it. Some of the bungalow renovations are really great! it's a builders paradise.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We downsized and then upsized again. You'd think a three bed house would be big enough for the two of us, but it wasn't.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You may need space to escape each other.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.