1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Downsizing my career...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cannonjc01, May 4, 2011.

1. I currently work as a Phase Leader and Literacy Leader in a two form entry primary school. Although I have my regular PPA time each week, there is very little time allowed to fulfil my management roles. I find therefore that more and more of my time at home is taken up with school work. As the father of two young teenagers, I feel I want to spend more time with them (as they do with me) so I have begun looking for alternative posts with less responsibility.
    As I am UPS2 and therefore quite expensive, how will prospective employers look upon my downsizing from TLR2a back to regular classteacher? How do I go about explaining my decision? Will I be thought less of for wanting to redress my worklife balance? Basically, what advice can you give me to make me 'more employable'?
    Looking forward to your thoughts...

2. I currently work as a Phase Leader and Literacy Leader in a two form entry primary school. Although I have my regular PPA time each week, there is very little time allowed to fulfil my management roles. I find therefore that more and more of my time at home is taken up with school work. As the father of two young teenagers, I feel I want to spend more time with them (as they do with me) so I have begun looking for alternative posts with less responsibility.
    As I am UPS2 and therefore quite expensive, how will prospective employers look upon my downsizing from TLR2a back to regular classteacher? How do I go about explaining my decision? Will I be thought less of for wanting to redress my worklife balance? Basically, what advice can you give me to make me 'more employable'?
    Looking forward to your thoughts...

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only from my own experience but I think it's difficult to get an 'ordinary' class teacher post if one is experienced. They canusually find a teacher with 2-3 years experience who cost a lot less but is still experienced & if they can afford the extra they usually want some responsibility for that money.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Look for a similar post in a different school that does give management time. In our school we all get a 1/2 day PPA and phase leaders/core subject leaders get another half day.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advic, as usual, from minnieminx there. Though how you'd find out if there's more management time is the next question.