1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Downloading iPad apps onto other iPads in School

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ProfHarry, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Can somebody help me to download apps on to several iPads? I've downloaded some apps to try out in school but as there are 4 iPads in Reception and potentially 8 more coming to the Y3/4 classes how can they all have the apps? Do I have to log on to the iTunes App Store on every iPad and download each app every time? Is there some way that would let me download onto one iPad and then they could be downloaded onto the others as they are switched on? Just like my Kindle?

2. Can somebody help me to download apps on to several iPads? I've downloaded some apps to try out in school but as there are 4 iPads in Reception and potentially 8 more coming to the Y3/4 classes how can they all have the apps? Do I have to log on to the iTunes App Store on every iPad and download each app every time? Is there some way that would let me download onto one iPad and then they could be downloaded onto the others as they are switched on? Just like my Kindle?

3. iTunes I believe has the limitation that you can only attach 5 IOS devices to one account.

4. Thank you for your reply. But how do the schools who have got iPads mange to upload apps onto their iPads?

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

you can spend £600 on a docking bay (oh, and buy a Macbook to run it) and you can synchronise 10 at a time. We have to do it on each individual pad, juggling which ones are linked to an itunes account - max 10 devices, so as each one is updated it has to be deauthorised to make room for another one, re-authorisation only possible after 90 days.
    It's a nightmare: you can't even download apps, organise them in folders then clone that structure, each one has to be treated separately. Just goes to show they are not designed for school use...

6. You can have 10 devices associated with an iTunes account including upto 5 computers. So assuming you have a single computer activated with an iTunes account, you can sync 9 iOS devices with it. All you need to do is enable WiFi syncing on each of the iPads and when you purchase an app on one, it will soon appear on all the others (assuming they're all running iOS 5).

If you have more than 9 iOS devices, then you'll need to authorise another iTunes account with the computer. This is a real pain in the backside and a major drawback to school's purchasing class sets of iPads. In the States you can bulk buy apps with an education discount and then use Apple Configurator to push apps and settings to all the iPads. Apple needs to pull it's thumb out and give us this service in the UK.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

... what he said..... tho' as I said you can forget about folders being replicated to each device

8. mercer77

mercer77 New commenter

My understanding is that you can sync unlimited devices to one itunes account. I have successfully synced 10 ipod touches and one ipad (11 devices) to an account so they all have the same apps on. If you have wifi you can set the ipads to sync by wifi, or automatically download new apps purchased using the itunes account they are synced with.

The complication is that home users are allowed to buy each app once and put it on as many devices as they like, perfectly legally. Organisations such as schools (where multiple users will use each device) are legally required to buy the app once for each device it will be on! At the moment there is no easy way of doing this as you can only buy an app once with a single itunes account. In the US there's a volume purchasing programme to solve this problem, I don't think this exists in the UK yet.
    This forum has some useful info: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/netbooks-pda-phones/92801-anyone-using-ipads-students-maybe-trolley-storage-unit-2.html

9. Quoting a comment from the above link:
    "Just a quick correction here:

pete10141748 said:

Initial setup
    iTunes accounts - I set up 3 email addresses with GMAIL and 3 iTunes accounts, 1 for each set of 10 iPads we have (10 is the most you can assign to one iTunes account). This is incorrect. I have over 100 iPads on a single school iTunes account...
    this ties in with my understanding that you can sync an unlimited amount of iPod touch/ iPhone/ iPad devices to the one account (either PC or MAC based) after the single purchase of an app.
    I haven't seen the thing that organisations are required to buy multiple codes for multiple users, however this doesn't mean that it is not true - just that I'm misled. I need to look further into licensing for organisations esp. schools.

10. After a little research - Apple licensing: this is of particular interest:
    "APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES
    (i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.
    (ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license."
    In summary
    - sync as much as you want in the home for personal use.
    - for schools: sync to one iOS device per purchase OR sync to as many as you like but only allow one of the downloaded apps to be used at a time. I need to reconsider what I have been saying - apologies.
    (so it is OK to sync to 100+ devices and for iOS 5 these will sync wirelessly if the settings are used under General/iTunes WiFi sync: however the problem comes when we ask pupils to use the devices to ensure that apps that have only been purchased once are only being used one at a time)