1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Down Under in HK

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MyOrchid, Jun 15, 2019.

1. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Dear All,

The school that serves children Down Under in HK is advertising various posts on its website. Can anyone give advice about the school, management, conditions etc, please? I know HK can be expensive to live but the salary seems OK. We are 2 people, one not a teacher, no kids.

Also, with recent events in HK in the news, do people think it would be a risky move?

Thanks,
    Orchid

2. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Hi- I can’t comment on the school, but I can on the current ‘situation’. In terms of actual, present danger, there isn’t much (though the changes being protested are another matter). I was in Kowloon this morning, but not on the Island, and there was no sense that anything is amiss. Perhaps that’s the way they want it? The government just announced a delay in the bill.

3. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

By all accounts I've heard it is a good place to work. It is very Antipodean, holidays and all.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Would you avoid going to the UK because there was a march through London to a demonstration in Trafalgar Square!

frogusmaximus likes this.
  5. clovispoint

Hong Kong is becoming a bit more like China (under protest). Plenty of expats go and work in China. The protests here are very restrained. The strong arm tactics of the police have actually made more people come out into the streets and be proactive in their peacefulness.

6. gwakus

gwakus New commenter

I am also interested in this place. According to the information pack the package for a teacher is HK508k to HK880k, but you need to pay for your own housing. How realistic is that for a family?

How bad are housing costs in this part of HK?

7. clovispoint

It is realistic but you will compromise on some aspect- size, location or cost. You will not be able to afford a spacious home within walking distance. The homes nearby are unaffordable. Transport networks are good so you can live further away and rent a home that meets your needs. Travel to work should be easy- there's an MTR station near the school, as well as bus routes.

8. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Thank you to those who have replied.

No, I wouldn't avoid the UK because of a march through London, but HK is about 1000 km2 and essentially run by the Chinese Communist party, as I understand it.
    The demonstration yesterday involved about 2 million people, which is about 25% of the HK population. I might avoid the UK if demonstrations there were of similar proportions...

topquark likes this.
  9. makhnovite

'as I understand it'

Then maybe you shouldn't go.

10. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Feel free to enlighten me. I thought that the government was appointed from a panel decided and approved by Beijing, but perhaps I am wrong.

BTW, Is this how you get to be an "Established commenter"?

11. makhnovite

'do people think it would be a risky move?'

Why come on to ask advice and then whinge when you don't like the advice!

By the way, you become an established commenter by working abroad for more than 30 years in a variety of countries and schools, and giving colleagues advice - some of which they will like and some they won't.

Having lived through two serious earthquakes, two attempted coups, one successful one and close to a Gulf war I know a little whereof I speak.

Anyone who is not sure if they should go to a country and asks complete strangers for advice is maybe really asking for confirmation, but hey, what do I know? You know your own mind - don't you? Oh, no you don't!

frogusmaximus and dumbbells66 like this.
  12. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

makhnovite,

Thank you for yet another informative response.
    I am happy to take advice, but you haven't really given any. You don't appear to know anything about the school and little about Hong Kong. Your only replies so far have sought to boost your own ego by demonstrating what a clever and superior person you are through snide remarks.
    Perhaps you get to be an established commenter by also being a pompous ****?
    My questions were asked of strangers who have knowledge of a particular school in a particular location. Seeing as you apparently know nothing about either of these I would appreciate it if you don't contribute further to my thread, if your ego can stand it.

Love and hugs,

Orchid

13. clovispoint

I asked someone here in HK who knows more about the Antipodean establishment. Apparently a very happy workplace. Better pay, longer holidays and better working conditions (class sizes, demands on time, curriculum) than the large English schools group.

HK is by far the safest city I have lived in. 2 million people walked along a road together to express disapproval of the government. It was a magnificent demonstration of people power. I would have gone myself but there was media coverage suggesting that westerners should keep away to avoid the 'western conspiracy' theorists from getting ammunition.

14. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Hi Clovispoint,

Thank you very much for taking the time to ask on my behalf. Your information is helpful and reassuring.
    Best wishes,
    Orchid

15. makhnovite

'You don't appear to know anything about the school and little about Hong Kong'

Actually I know HK well, and the school, but only by reputation. But your request for advice was about the demonstrations and security, which I also know a bit about, and as other posters have said HK is a very safe place, which anyone considering a move there would/should already know.

'with recent events in HK in the news, do people think it would be a risky move?'

So your request for advice was not just about the school then?

While the demonstrations have turned somewhat violent of late (tear gas and rubber bullets). It is unlikely that they will get any worse, in fact Carrie Lam has already stopped the bill and apologised. I am not saying it is all over but it is a win of sorts for the protesters and things should quieten down for the moment. As always Beijing is playing a long game. But if you are worried - don't go!

My advice, not to go, was based on many years experience of working abroad as a teacher and as a recruiter in a variety of countries, both secure and some not so secure, and that anyone asking that kind of question is usually someone who is not ready to go to that country.

You asked for opinions, here's mine

frogusmaximus and dumbbells66 like this.
  16. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Dear Makhnovite,

Thank you for your reply. My primary question was actually about the school as I have been able to research considerable information about Hong Kong, not least from the recent newspapers. Nevertheless, your input is appreciated.

There, not so difficult to be civil, is it?

Best wishes,
    Orchid

17. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Don't worry the sh*t won't truly hit the fan until 2047!

18. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Boom! If you get a chance to go and work in HK, grab it. A fascinating city and a good base to explore neighbouring countries from.

In my experience every school pays a decent salary to live comfortably in the locality or an accommodation/salary package. If not, staff would be walking at the end of every contract and from what I gather, that can cost up to a half year of salary to replace them when all the associated costs are considered.

The experience is worth more than the salary but, if you are fortunate, you'll get well remunerated too.

19. clovispoint

A job in Hong Kong is not the golden ticket. There is a very wide range of salary and package, not all schools pay high salaries and the expenses here mean that you can have a lot less left at the end of the month than you would like. The majority of your salary could go on living expenses and you could end up with a poor package and gratuity at contract end. Do take care.

Physical presence working in HK as a teacher means you are much more likely to pick up another job here at a better paying school. The one in discussion here is a good example of a good school.

20. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

experiences . . .
    friends . . .
    trips . . .
    cultures . . .
    food . . .
    weather . . .
    partner . . .
    home.

Life is for living.