1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dowdy dressing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by designt, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Have you all noticed that many teachers do not bother about their dressing as years go by esp the ladies. They seemed to have the same sort of dressing, dowdy.

2. Have you all noticed that many teachers do not bother about their dressing as years go by esp the ladies. They seemed to have the same sort of dressing, dowdy.

3. Excuse me, I am a really funky dresser thank you very much.

4. you are a minority

5. Well, that makes 2 of us in that minority, then.

Perhaps a straw poll is in order?

6. I would dress much more current if I had the money to extend beyond black/grey trousers with variety of tops and jumpers or cardigans. As it is I do not.

7. And you are a troll.

8. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

After you've been vomited/peed on a few times, torn your decent trousers/skirt/new tights on tables that have tiny bits of old staples left from a previous teacher, had indelible white board pen 'accidentally'drawn on your light coloured blouse and have slipped on shiny floors in heels, you'd probably <u>want</u> to wear your older, less expensive, 'school' clothes.

9. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I always make the effort to dress up when i'm at school, i do think that it is part of being professional. This Autumn i shall be wearing my crimplene elasticated waist flared trousers with a matching blouse with velveteen collar, and also my crocodile effect catsuit with zip featurettes. Many an admiring glance is cast my way as i sashay through the playground, even if i do say so myself.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think therein lies the problem- especially in Primary work! I know I've built up a 'working wardrobe' of patterned, (tends to show off the paint /glue etc.splashes less well!) durable, (ie less likely to snag etc) and practical clothing, used exclusively for school wear.

11. I always dress smart yet fashionable. This years wardrobe is all smart tailored dresses with belts and new funky shoes in every colour and style. Got a pair of high waisted trousers too with a wicked blouse. Have to say Ive been teaching 6 years now and only ever had one jumper stained with pen ink. I must be extra careful naturallly. Nice clothes are there to be worn and we spend so much time at work it makes sense to wear them there too. I love getting up, putting on a fashionforward outfit and starting the day!

12. I no longer work, but in my last job (working for a Training Provider) the dress-code was casual/dowdy!
    No high heels, no skirts, no jewelery (it would either be at risk of bein stolen or things like necklaces used to choke you), no scarves or ties (again minimise any chance of clothing being used to choke) and watches were advised to be bought from the local market at &pound;5 each.
    However, on staff evenings out there was quite the fashion parade!
    (Personally I still wear casual/dowdy....but hey, that's just my own preference!....and you'll all be sorry when jogging pants and sloppy t-shirts become the thing to wear and I finally become the trendy one here!)

13. No. I haven't noticed that.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Three.

15. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Yep, that's me.
    But who cares? I have a lovely personality.

16. Sadly, my school does not permit me to dress in the style that I choose when elsewhere (jeans/music shirts/leather/provocative tshirts) so I have to settle for something that I consider to be more respectable.

17. Tell you what OP I'll run through some of my favourites and you can tell me what to do to stop being dowdy.

I am 5'1 and I weigh 12 stone. I have a particular fondness for ill fitting underwear. I mean if it ain't broke why fix it? I've had 2 perfectly good bras from M&S for years and they wash really well. Same for my big pants with a reinforced gusset.

Winter wardrobe is mostly some pull on elasticated waist trews or an old favourite polyester skirt. I know It looks good because I've heard young folk smile and say "vintage," a sure sign of respect. You can't go wrong with thermals and a few patterned acrylic tops, woollies if really parky.

Summer I've got some lovely full elasticated waist patterned skirts, bit of an ethnic thing. These team up perfectly with some lovely tops I got in the Bon Marche sale last November.

So you young whipper-snapper call me dowdy ! Pah I think not.

18. The more replies he gets, the more wanks he has.

19. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Especially to rrory's. [​IMG]