1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dough gym...?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by newgreenteacher, Jan 12, 2012.

1. pete72

pete72 New commenter

OMG...this forum is scary....vaguely putting me off.....get yourselves on Harry Hill....there's only one way to find out........

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Oh dear! [​IMG]
    it really is time you stopped the communion wine

3. Msz, just read the thread worried about observation.... you don't have to experience things yourself to know that there is somthing very worrying going on in education. The mindset that creates methods has created 'observations' as a 'method' of improvement. Don't you feel outrage and solidarity with the teacher who has posted there! Didn't you when you encountered the experience of teachers who had been browbeaten into the natioanl strategies. We migt not know certain things in our heads or our own experience Msz but we can know them in our guts. And we can feel rage and impotence on behalf of others subjected to injustice. So no DOughgym for you might not have any of these implicaions but for some of us it does.

4. Msz

What I am suggesting is you are basing your belief on incomplete evidence of a few forum posts and without the full information you can't make an informed judgement

5. sorrypete - staffroom banter, nothing to be scared about ! that's my coffee cup by the way and oh I might as well say I always sit in that chair by the window!
    what is Harry Hill? What will we find out from there?[​IMG]
    PS After years, it aint coffee in my cup, communion wine hits the spot! Great for on the spot lesson improvisation too- sod the planning!

6. Msz

But this has nothing at all to do with observations it's to do with a fun activity that encourages reluctant children to experience dough in an enjoyable way. OK so someone has given it a name but that doesn't detract from the fun and pleasure children get from taking part.
    no it doesn't have those implications any more than having a painting easel or a sand pit or blocks or Lego or musical instruments or chalk or puppets or stories or toys... should we avoid them tooin case someone observes the children using them?

7. msz I respect your point but I am hypersentive, allergic almost, I don't need full exposure to allogens, they set me off at even small concentrations.[​IMG]
    [As I said read the post 'worried about observations' for full scale anaphylactic? shock. I don't need to make an informed judgement, seeing as how I can't get out of the room I need to calm my system down with some bottled antihistamine- communion style![​IMG]

8. ok I am going to concede! I Have gone a bit off track! Stepped off the stones and got wet in the river. Too much of the mass and the sermon in me now (Iwonder why!)
    It is about
    doughgym after all! All I would say then is yes to legogym, yes
    topaintgym, yes tomusicalinstrumentgym, sandpitgym, puppetgym ,toygym,storygym,chalkgym, blockgym and storygym..............yes to all of them. Play, observe and enjoy. You are a gas and a tickle Msz a true gigglebox. [​IMG] you really are. I love you to bits.

9. Msz

I avoid anything that might cause a bad reaction and threads on observations and communion wine are fairly close to the top of my keep away list but I try not to blame unrelated random articles for my sneezes

10. I suppose the thing is that there are many ways to give children fun with dough, and that dough, as a material is inherently useful for developing gross and fine motor skills. Children do not need to be dictated to as to how to interact with dough. If they are reluctant, there are lots of things they can do without having to use dough, just as there are lots of ways you can get them interested in dough, if it is really that necessary. Yes, playdough is a commonplace of EY classrooms, just like easels, blocks etc. the point is not that playdough is being used, it is the way it is being used. Perhaps, next, we will be told it is good practice to have everyone in class doing green painting to music using a painting and decorating brush, at the same time each day. The implication of 'Playdough gym' used as described by yourself in an earlier post, is not that children are using playdough, but they are using it in a pre-decided, uniform way, dictated by the teacher who has been misled into thinking this is 'good practice'.

11. Msz

Is it any different to them joining in a circle time activity or a number rhyme or a story or any other activity with an adult?

12. i love you too thumbie. I swear I really do[​IMG]

13. Well, yes, if it is adopted as a fix and follows a programme. In that context it is a bit of a waste of time that could be used on circle time or rhymes or stories, which are intrinsically listening and language activities.

14. Yohana, I want some of what you're having. :)

15. Msz

forget what I said about the communion wine you obviously need more

16. We could all use a bit of the holy spirit!

17. Msz

but it isn't a programme!!!
    as is dough gym

18. Sounds like a programme to me - just take a look at your earlier post.I agree, of course it can be a language activity, and is a language activity in certain contexts. I just don't think the context you have described is the best for language development. It seems to have been adopted for physical development. So not intrinsically for language.

19. Msz

doesn't mean it is one
    that's the problem with making judgements on limited evidence

20. ahh bijeezas, I love sunday too, I love the TES Forums, I love funny names..... I love.the weird and wonderful nonsense we spout ..'there's many a true word spoken in TES'. I love yous alls I really does. the amazing thing is the more you drink of this communion wine the more the bottle seems ever half full, never half-empty now why by a vicars nicars should that be so? ...even young pete is on the stuff... tch tch... lets luv him too .. *** here pete 'av an 'ug mate[​IMG]