1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dough gym...?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by newgreenteacher, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Hi
    does anyone use dough gym? If you do how do you do it please? What music do you use? Do you follow a programme or make it up yourselves? Has it had a positive impact on the children in your setting with less secure fine motor skills? Do you know where I can find a clip of it in action to have a look see please?
    Phew - so many questions xxx
    Cheers - hope someone can help x

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use dough gym for both fine and gross motor skills. It's adapted from ABC's dough gym depending on the music but keeping the same basic movements. I use it with a Y3 child with motor difficulties as an intervention and groups in Reception Y1 & 2. V positive results
    At the minute Olly Murs, Travis and One Direction are favourite tracks.

3. Cheers Msz -I have googled ABC dough gym but find a link then a blog - what am I dong wrong? What are the basic movements - is there anywhere I can find out more please?
    Ta xxx

4. Oh Msz you are you know everything about everything! ( that is meant in a complimentary way) I wish I worked in your schoo!
    Please tell us about dough gym I haven't heard of that.

5. Msz

It's an idea from Alistair Bryce Clegg
    Basically the children make their own dough with the help of a teacher and as soon as it's cool enough to work they knead the dough (I usually add the colour at this stage - they have to knead long enough to colour the dough evenly) this is good for wrist, shoulder and finger strength. Each child requires a piece of dough roughly the size of their head and a work surface.
    Gross motor we are using the dough as a weight so lots of lifting with straight arms and round the world with extended arms - shoulder girdle stability mid line crossing arm curls

Fine motor lots of pinching,nipping, rolling and squeezing
    We use music with a strong beat and combine with hand movements and copying movements following instructions.
    I was talking to Alistair yesterday and he mentioned a school where they have three groups first thing in the morning one doing fine motor dough gym another gross motor and a third doing threading.

6. Msz

It was on the blog but has now been replaced with another idea which is a pity because watching Alistair doing Dough Gym really is a sight worth seeing [​IMG]

7. Ah that's a shame Msz- I really wanted to see it in action. :( Does anyone else have any ideas where I might?

8. Msz

you could email Alistair

9. Good plan - never even thought of that - cheers I will x

10. I'd love to know more about this too. Newgreenteacher, if you manage to get more information, please share with me. Many thanks!

11. EYFS2

EYFS2 New commenter

We do this at my school, we call it 'Dough Disco'. Each child is given a pot of play dough and then we listen to music, anything really, my class love anything from The Temptations to Mcfly. I have seen such a dramatic improvement already, the children who could not hold a pencil now have much better pencil control, can dress themselves etc. I would recommend it!

12. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

This idea sounds really good and I would really like to see it in action too. If it gets put back on ABC's web blog it would be good to post on here now more of us have heard about it.
    I wondered how often it was done, was it once a week? as a small group activity or all Nursery or Reception class? If you make it with children each time how you finance all the ingredients regularly?

13. Msz

daily in small groups

14. Watmore

Watmore New commenter

I do dough disco at the beginning of the day each child has a small ball of dough and then when roll it into a ball....take it for a walk around our bodies, up down low wiggle your bottom right hand squeeze left hand squezze to any music you like... the kids love it so much they want to be on time on dough disco day!!

15. Msz

I think dough gym and dough disco are slightly different activities [​IMG]

16. I don;t believe this thread! Erm just makeplaydough WITH children and thenPLAY with it with them. As you do observe what is happening and think 'ahh this is why they like it'- and then think of all the PSE, LINGUISTIC, physical (gross and fine) maths and science involved in the process and if you can put a big smile on your face and tell the nearest nursery nurse (llok in the long grass by the sand pit) who will roll her eyes to the sky, pat you on the shoulder and say 'what took you so long to get here'. The write it up, put it on the back burner for awhile and give it to OFSTED who will look suitably amnazed and may even join you in pretending it is a hot currant bun AND blow on their fingers as they eat it!
    Thanks for the thread but I mean.............Doughgym ! What has happened to the early years teacher in the last few years - or am I Rip Van winkle and have woken up into a world that I didnt even realise had putme to sleep. Doughym! Perhaps I am a cynical O#d G#t. But we did this every week not many years ago!- Often each week we even did the same thing but cooked the dough in the oven and wrapped it in paper we had coloured and designed and took it home to eat -BREAD! Great curriculum was the bread curriuculum. Nice and messy too.

17. Msz

yohanalicante Dough Gym is an OT intervention for children with physical difficulties and of course all children will be making playdough and enjoying it but some children need a more focused 10 or 15 mins in addition

18. Lovin' this thread!!

Having just been looking around at these ideas lately( our writing levels were down last year)....dough disco ( something I saw Shonette Bason do last year) and Dough Gym seems to be an ABCDoes thing. Maybe? Not sure. My classroom assistant has just spent a few days making dough with each child and they are keeping it in their draw = really special.
    We doing various repeated activities during the week to banging' hot tunes....RizzleKicks etc etc! They love love love it! I also use Jedi writing. Its useful too.
    With regard to the self confessed old git. Some of us are young, enthusiastic and need these kind of ideas and thoughts to keep EYs on its toes. Maybe you were doing it 20 years ago but everything goes full circle. EVERYTHING. I am new, 3 years into my job, eager to learn and want to try thing to make my children brilliant writers. I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe I'll look back in 10 years time and think what a crappy bandwagon I jumped on.

19. Msz

I'm an "old git" but I love Dough Gym (yes it is ABC) and use it with target children in Y2 & 3 and I wouldn't say it's anything like the old dough activities of 20 years ago.

20. remember brain gym? ;-)